5 Things to Ask Yourself Before You Skip Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Everyone has days where going to class is just not going to happen. It’s nearly impossible to attend every single class for the entire semester (if you’ve done this, go you), but it’s not necessarily a good thing to continuously skip the same classes every week. It’s easy to get into a skipping rut, so here are a few things to ask yourself before you make your decision.  

1. Why do I want to skip?

There’s no point in going to class when you’re so sick that you won’t even be able to focus, so it’s better to just stay in your room and rest. We also sometimes need extra time to study for that midterm or work on a paper, which is something teachers will understand.

2. What will I be missing?

If you know your professor will be talking about some really important information or introducing a new assignment, then maybe it’s not such a good idea to skip. It’s easier to fall behind than it is to catch up, so just keep that in mind. 

3. Are there any tests/ big assignments coming up?

It’s normal to feel overwhelmed before a big test, but many teachers mention things that are going to be on the test during the lecture before the test, making those the most important classes to go to. Make sure you check test dates and assignment due dates beforehand, so you aren’t blindsided. If you’re struggling at all or feel like you aren’t grasping the material as well as you should be, then going to class is a must. 

4. Do I have any friends in the class that can help get me caught up?

It’s always great when you have a friend who can show you their notes or help catch you up on what you missed, just make sure you don’t rely on them so much that they start feeling like you’re using them. If they’re really you’re friend they won’t mind you peaking at your notes, as long as you return the favor! 

5. Is this a one-time thing or is this becoming a pattern?

With college comes a whole new set of responsibilities, especially when you’re in classes that don’t take attendance. Remember that it’s normal to skip classes every now and then, but you need to make sure skipping class doesn’t start becoming a pattern.

In the end you should remember that you’re paying to take these classes, so you might as well show up! 

When I'm not writing for University of Iowa's Her Campus, you can find me eating Reese's while watching the Mindy Project and trying my hardest to become Tina Fey.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.