This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Every girl needs to have a night out every once in a while where it’s just them and their besties, no boys! Spending quality time with your girlfriends can help anyone to feel better, especially when school’s got you down. 

Here are some ideas for a fun girls night in Iowa City!

1. Go to the VUE

One of the best places to go in downtown Iowa City is the VUE Rooftop. This rooftop lounge offers gorgeous views, table fire pits, and outdoor seating, along with specialty cocktails and just an overall really cool environment. If you’re feeling high-class, or maybe just tired of the regular bar scene, the VUE is the best place to go for a night out with the girls.

2. Have a Wine Night

We all know that wine nights can cure any problem. Whether you’re dressing up to go to Brix, or just chilling in your sweats watching the Bachelor, drinking wine with friends can take the edge off and ultimately lead to a fun and relaxing night. This is also a great option if you’re trying to watch your budget.

3. Dress up and Go to a Fancy Dinner

Something that’s always fun is going out to eat. We all love food, and sometimes it’s nice to dress up in fancy attire and go to a fancy restaurant. If you like to get ready with your friends but you’re not in the mood to go out, going to a restaurant can be the perfect substitute! Some fancy restaurants in Iowa City include Basta, St. Burch Tavern, Joseph’s Steakhouse, Orchard Green and Iowa Chophouse.

4. Make Your Own Bar Crawl

Last year my friends and I decided that we wanted to make our own bar crawl. We made a list of our favorite bars to go to, invited some more people, decided on a theme and set the amount of time we would be at each bar. This can be something you and your friends could do on any weekend! It didn’t take a lot of work, but if this doesn’t seem like something you would want to come up with, there are always public bar crawls going on that you can find on Facebook! Last year there was a Onsie Bar Crawl, a 90’s Bar Crawl, a Halloween Bar Crawl and so many others!

5. Have a Game Night

Game nights are something my friends and I do a lot. Playing cards, board games or even games that you can download off the app store are always a hit! If you’re not wanting to host a game night at your own place, there’s always trivia nights going on in Iowa City! Places like Donnelly’s Pub, Big Grove, Fuzzy’s Tacos (Coralville) and Tin Roost (North Liberty) have trivia nights almost every week, sometimes having themes like Harry Potter, The Office, Marvel movies, Game of Thrones and much more.

So the next time you and your friends are trying to figure out what to do for a fun girls night, don’t forget all of the fun things Iowa City has to offer!

Image credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Sara Maloney

U Iowa '19

My name is Sara Maloney and I am a Senior at the University of Iowa studying Journalism and Mass Communication! I love to write, watch my favorite shows on Netflix, travel to new places, hang out with friends, and play with my two little guinea pigs!