5 Formosa Sushi Rolls for Those of You Hesitant to Try Raw Fish

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Are you trying to get in line with the recent sushi craze, but not sure how you feel about raw fish? That’s totally okay! I used to be that way too and I worked my way up to the “fishier” sushi rolls by starting with the less traditional ones. Formosa is a restaurant in downtown Iowa City that has tons of sushi roll options for you. With deals on Tuesdays and Thursdays, here are a few rolls that you should try to get your feet wet.  

1. Rock N’ Roll

This roll is one of my personal favorites. It is egg roll tempura fried, topped with spicy crab mix, eel sauce and spicy mayo. It is definitely one of the more flavorful rolls, but it tastes nothing like traditional sushi. It is a warm roll, with a little bit of a crunch to it. The blend of sauces gives it a slightly tangy taste without going overboard. There are no raw ingredients in this roll. 

2. Shrimp Tempura

This is one of the simpler rolls offered at Formosa. It is also egg roll tempura fried, but instead of crab, it’s shrimp! Plus it is also topped with eel sauce. This roll is a good palette cleanser to have in between the more decorative rolls.

3. California Roll

This is your basic sushi roll. It is available at almost every sushi restaurant and it has a simple taste. It is crab, avocado, cucumber and sesame seeds. This is a great roll to start with if you are hesitant to try sushi. I would consider this roll to be a good go-to for beginners. 

4. El Diablo

This is a good roll for those of you that like spicier foods. It is a shrimp tempura roll with avocado, cream cheese and a whole jalapeño. The roll is topped with spicy crab mix, eel sauce and sriracha.

5. Godzilla

Lastly, the Godzilla is a roll that takes it a step closer towards traditional sushi. It has many toppings, but it also has raw tuna in it. It is shrimp tempura, spicy tuna, cucumber and scallions, topped with eel sauce, spicy mayo and tobiko. Tobiko is the Japanese word for fish roe. It has a red-orange color, with a slightly salty taste. 

I know that sometimes it can be hard to decide to try new types of sushi, or just food in general. But you will never know what you like, or unfortunately what you don’t until you try!

Image Credit: 1, 2

Hey! I’m Marrissa and I’m a junior at the University of Iowa majoring in Journalism and Business. Writing and playing sports are two things I love to do. You can follow my instagram @marrissacraff. ✭
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.