Wellness > Health

5 Creative Ways to Hammock at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Typically when the weather warms up you start to see the trees around campus become occupied with hammocks and busy students nestled inside them. However, this isn’t a typical spring, and that’s okay. For me, hammocking is a way to make the best out of being at home and get some sunshine while taking online classes. Here are 5 places you can try hammocking at home:

1. Between tress in your backyard 

Starting with the basics, your backyard is the perfect place to hang in your hammock for an afternoon! Not only are you close to home in case you need to go in and grab anything, but there is also less shame in taking a cat nap in your hammock in the privacy of your own backyard. 

Colorado travel hiking mountains trees nature backpack trail high
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

2. Between your porch/deck posts 

If you have a deck or front porch with pillars, this is perfect for you! Just mount your hammock between two posts and you are good to go! Just make sure your knots are secure so you do not slip down the posts. 

3. On a local playground (safely) 

Playgrounds offer many different good places to set up your hammock. You can mount in on the money bars, underneath a bridge, and so much more. Just make sure you are respecting closures of your local parks due to COVID-19 and maintaining the 6ft. social distancing standard. 

Anna Schultz-Looking Out Window Road Trip
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

4. Using a car

This may not work on all cars, but if you have a car with posts or hooks you should give in a try. When my brother and I did this, we mounted our hammock between my car and the tree in our front yard. 

5. At a local park 

If you need to get out of the house and your backyard just isn’t cutting it, try out a local park! Here, you can hike down a trail or path and find the perfect place to camp out for an afternoon. Once again, just make sure you are paying attention to park closures and keeping your distance from others! 

I hope these tips inspire you to get out of the house and enjoy a little change in scenery! Happy hammocking!

Allison Baty

U Iowa '22

Hi there! My name is Allison Baty and I am currently in my second year here at Iowa. I am majoring is Marketing with minors in both Communications Studies and Graphic Design. In my free time you can find me doing DIY projects, trying new coffee shops around town, or hanging out with my friends and family.