This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

This summer I became obsessed with fashion and things that are ethically made. I also decided that I was going to invest in products that would last longer and were better for the environment, as well as brands made by smaller companies. Here are some new brands that you should check out:

1. Billy!

Billy! is a brand that is created by a badass woman named Candice Pool, who felt that she could not fit into the fashion industry because she was not feminine enough. However, she got up the courage and started creating apparel and jewelry. Her shirts were inspired by the belief that a boyfriend’s worn-in shirt are the best to wear and that is exactly what the shirts feel like (I love it).  It’s perfect for a casual day out!

2. Love, Beauty and Planet

Love, Beauty and Planet saved my hair! This product is vegan and cruelty free, making it better for the planet. I personally use the yellow shampoo and conditioner, and it has saved my dead, dry hair. This product can be found at most stores such as Walmart and Target, but you can also order it online. I would definitely recommend that you try it and make sure to recycle the bottle after. 

3. Vans

Okay, so most people have heard of this brand but Vans are making a serious come back! They have so many different styles and are collaborating with different brands such as Marvel and The Peanuts to create super cute shoes. If you are looking for casual tennis shoes and a pair of shoes to match any outfit, Vans are your go-to.

4. Beyond Yoga

These yoga pants by Beyond Yoga may seem like normal, everyday pants, but they are the softest and comfiest leggings I have ever worn. They hide underwear lines and come in a variety of different styles and colors. I also got mine for a really good deal in the sales section and I am honestly considering staying in these leggings for a long time.

5. Batoko

This summer I was on a frantic search for one piece swimsuits that did not reveal my butt (I haven’t been doing my squats this summer). I was looking around, found this Batoko, ordered a suit and it is amazing! Every time I wore my swimsuit from this brand I received several compliments. This swimsuit is made from 100% recycled plastic, but you would never know wearing it! I got one with dinosaurs on it and they have prints for everyone.

If you want to look into ethically made clothing or want to find clothing that meets your standards I would highly recommend downloading the app DoneGood to find more amazing products like the ones I’ve shared. 

Image credit: cover,1, 2, 3, 4, 5

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.