books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

There’s is nothing better to do in the summer than sitting in the outdoors and reading a book. Reading good books can transport you to another world and provide experiences and knowledge that you would have never imagined. Summer is a perfect time to read those books, and whether I’m super busy in the summer or don’t have any plans, I always make time to read some good books! Here’s the list of books I read this summer!

1. “Why Not Me?”- Mindy Kaling

When I spent sixteen hours on the plane, I managed to finish this book between occasional naps. Mindy Kaling is an actress and comedy writer, who acted and wrote for the famous sitcom “The Office” in 2013. This is Mindy Kaling’s second book and just like her previous book, “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?”, the book is set up as an essay collection of different things she’s experienced in her life. She shares her Hollywood secrets, reveals her embarrassing college stories and recalls all the happy moments in her life. It’s fun, playful and hilarious, so if you ever need a laugh, this is a book I definitely recommend.

2. “Something Borrowed”- Emily Giffin

I finished this book in one day because it was so hard to put down! This story is about a girl named Rachel White who starts an affair with her best friend’s fiancé. The story shows us the struggles of friendships, love and self-worth. This book was a little unconventional for me, but if you are willing to learn new perspectives of love (and its messy journey), then this is the book to read. The book was also made into a movie starring Ginnifer Goodwin and Kate Hudson!

3. “The 48 Laws of Power”- Robert Greene

If you don’t mind reading something controversial, then give this book a go. It shows the evil side of human nature and gives us insight into what we can do about it. It’s a bit of an old book (published in 1998), but if the game behind power and popularity excites you, then I would recommend this book, as well his other book, “Art of Seduction.”

4. “High-Performance Habits”- Brendon Burchard

This is the newest self-development book written by the world’s leading high-performance Brendon Burchard, and it has so much to offer if you are looking to improve your self-discipline and focus. Burchard provides a lot of useful strategies, client stories and self-awareness exercises to really help you live your best life!

5. Harry Potter Series- JK Rowling

Yes, this series is a classic, and I have read many times (one can say too many), but I can’t help but re-read them every year. The intriguing story plot and the amazing world JK Rowling describes in the book always makes me want to attend Hogwarts, but is whisked away in pages works for me! 10/10 recommend if you have never read these books!

Image credit: MainPhoto 1, Photo 2, Photo 3, Photo 4, Photo 5

Amara Jammalamadaka is studying Computer Science and working towards her Data Analysis certificate at the University of Iowa. When she isn't piled with classwork, she likes to read comics, watch animes, and jam out to K-pop!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.