4 Ways to Save Your Skin & A Sun-Kissed HC Giveaway!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Summer is just around the corner, and we’re all thinking the same thing… HELLO sunshine and hello beautiful, bronzed skin. Being bronzed is the trend that has stuck with us since Coco Chanel stepped foot off her cruise in Cannes without a care in the world, but with being a bronzed-goddess comes a few minor complications. We’ve got UV rays and tanning beds galore, enough to tan an entire world, but the dangers that come in tow with these tanning technologies are worth keeping at bay. Before you set out to get some sun-kissed skin at the pool, take time to follow through with these skincare techniques that could save your skin in the long-run.

1. Lather on the sunscreen

Ugh, don’t we all hate doing this. Sunscreen is the death of tan skin, but don’t worry, it’s also the death of sun-induced wrinkles. Set down the tanning oil and use sunscreen instead to draw rays your way. You’ll still get color, but you won’t fry your delicate skin and end up a wrinkled mess by the time you’re 40.

2. Skip the tanning bed

Again, wrinkles are a given when you use a tanning bed. Harmful UV rays from tanning beds can make you more susceptible to skin cancers and early developments of wrinkles, and trust us, you’ll spend a lot more time trying to reverse the damage of tanning beds later in life than you will be enjoying your tan now.

3. Moisturize

Even if you do tan, make sure you’re continually moisturizing your skin to keep it nourished and glowing. Doing this better protects your skin from harmful UV rays, dirt and dust that would otherwise be damaging.

4. Tan at home

… without UV rays. While it does take some time out of your day, it won’t take any more time than tanning in a bed does. Self-tanner still provides a bronzed look, but it’s so much healthier for your skin and won’t leave you with wrinkles later on in life. Even YouTube beauty bloggers are jumping on the self-tanning train, posting plenty of videos about their tanning process and how to perfect the faux-glow.

Not sure how to get that perfected bronze at home? No worries, we have the perfect giveaway for you to indulge in. To get you started for summer, we’re giving away a bundle of L’Oreal’s Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Towelettes and Rimmel London’s Waterproof Bronzing Powder to three lucky winners! You’ll be a bronzed-goddess and will have beautiful, healthy skin ready to show off at the pool in no time. Happy summer, collegiettes!  

Hey, I'm Emma! I’m a lover of writing as much as I am a lover of mochas, breakfast food, and all things striped. As of right now, I am a freshman at the University of Iowa, studying Journalism and Mass Communications.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.