31 Things That I Have Learned in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Last week my best friend Elise posted a picture of us with a caption describing everything that she has learned in college – all of which was very endearing because we learned a lot of it together and we are both graduating in 2 short weeks. So I started thinking about all of the little things that have stuck with me in my 3.5 years at Iowa. While this is really just an article of nostalgia for me, I’m also hoping that it reaches those just starting a new journey of their own as well. 

So thanks, Elise for the inspo (the first things were what were in her caption) and without further ado, here’s what I’ve learned. 

1. How to make a jager bomb (it’s all about the cup, seriously)

2. How to make a lemon drop (this ones all about the limoncello)

3. How to puke and rally

4. People are going to come and go. Cherish the memories you make with them and let them go when they no longer fit into your life. 

5. Staying present is hard when you’re always looking for the next thing or moment. Take time to pause in the small moments and appreciate where you’re at in life. 

6. Your life will not end if you get a C or even a D in college. This one truly took me my entire time to learn and I wish that I had realized it sooner. C’s really do get degrees baby. 

neon sign "people fail forward to success"
    Photo by Ian Kim from Unsplash

7. In that same vein, failure is so uncomfortable, but necessary to know that we are not at our peak and we can always improve. 

8. Wearing a crop top, mini skirt, and thigh high boots in an Iowa winter is NEVER the move. You will get pneumonia and contrary to belief hoes do get cold. 

9. Break up with your high school boyfriend, you are not going to get married. 

10. Don’t date the first boy that you meet in college, especially if he lives on your dorm floor. 

11. Not everyone is worth your energy. It’s okay to cancel your subscription to some people’s lives. And if you’re doing it for your own benefit, it does not make you selfish. 

12. Someone out there is going to judge you so you may as well do whatever the hell you want 

13. Invest in yourself. You will never regret the trip you took with your friends, the late night drive you went on, the time you spent doing self, etc. 

Change neon light signage
    Unsplash

14. Your body is not meant to look the same at the end of college as when you started. 

15. Finesse men out of drinks, just do it and don’t even think twice about it. Get your free drink and walk away to go dance with your friends

16. Everyone goes at a different pace in college its okay if you’re not where everyone else is at 

17. Hangout with the girl that you only see in class, don’t just be class friends. She may end up being your best friend. 

18. If you black out on vacation and think you broke your foot – don’t go get an x-ray. They’re expensive and it’s probably not broken. 

19. Drink a whole bottle of water and take 2 ibuprofen after a night of drinking. 

20. The night after you go out, brunch in the morning is a must. Recapping the nights with my friends has been the highlight of my college experience. 

21. Yes, you’re in college to get an education, but you’re also paying for the experience. Go out and live your life, study in between that. Don’t live your life in between studying. 

22. It’s okay to do things alone 

23. It’s okay to go through a period of time where you don’t feel your best. 

24. Don’t bring your moms on a frat party bus. They will not enjoy it 

25. How to admit when I’m wrong. 

26. There are a lot of people who are the human equivalent of a garbage fire. There are also a lot of people who are literal beams of light. Find those people, keep them close

New Girl Nick GIF - Chinese Food
    Giphy / Fox

27. New Girl was actually a pretty accurate show. I live with 4 boys now and it’s the most at home I’ve ever felt here. 

28. There are people that make themselves out to be something that they are not. You can’t force someone to be a version of themselves that you want them to be. If someone tells you exactly who they are, believe them.

29. Do not ignore red flags, and no they’re not yellow or orange they’re bright red and they’re a sign to gtfo. 

30. You will always be home if you surround yourself with people who love you. 

31. You really do meet your best friends in college. It’s so cliche, but it is the biggest thing I’ve learned. 

What I learned most was that it’s not the big moments that have stuck with me, but it’s the space in between those moments. The small ones that don’t mean anything at the time, but looking back mean everything to me now. I learned that each thing that happens to you in the next 4 years, will shape who you are. I learned to make the most of the time I have here because as it’s coming to an end, I learned I am really going to miss it.

Payten Little is in her senior year at Iowa majoring in Journalism and Creative Writing. She was the Creative Director for Her Campus at Iowa and loved that she had the ability to curate article ideas for her team, but is taking a step back to focus on her final semester of writing. She hopes to soon move out of the Midwest and to the East Coast to pursue her passion in magazine writing or social media marketing. She believes everyone has a story worth telling and a voice that needs to be heard.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.