lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 11 Types Of Crushes You Have

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Crushes are one of the most common features of human life, and as such, there are many categories into which they can be placed. Read on to discover the crushes you might not have even known you had.

1. First Crush

This might have been the kid who chased you on the playground, threatening to wipe boogers on your new pink shirt, or maybe he was your first kiss in kindergarten or something like that. Regardless, it’s likely you still remember their name, and they’ll probably always hold a special place in your heart.

2. Campus Crush

If you’re like me, you probably have multiple people that fit into this category. Classes, study places and even out and about on campus, they seem to show up everywhere, but we’re not complaining.

3. Girl Crush

She could be a celeb *cough* Blake Lively *cough* or the girl who runs next to you at the gym who never seems to break a sweat and has mastered the messy pony. This is a crush that usually stems from the thought that she has her life together. No one does, but she certainly has the grace to make it appear so.

4. “He’s-not-my-type-but-I-weirdly-find-him-attractive” Crush

We don’t know what it is about him. Maybe you tend to lean toward muscle-y guys in snapbacks and boat shoes, but you can’t help but drool over the dorky cutie who knows every answer in biology lecture.

5. Work Crush

The appeal of this crush is often that you get to spend a lot of time with him and pursuing a relationship could potentially be forbidden (what is it about forbidden love?). However, if we ain’t talking Jim Halpert, I don’t wanna talk.

6. Celeb Crush

Pretty straightforward, this is the crush it is socially acceptable to have a solid hundred pictures of saved to your phone. You’ve likely seen every one of their movies/listened to every one of their songs/followed every relationship they’ve ever had, only dreaming that someday that could be you.

7. Secret Crush

This is the crush you would never tell anyone about for any number of odd reasons. He’s way older. He’s way younger. He’s your best friend’s boyfriend (I certainly don’t condone this, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen!). Or maybe he’s the ex you keep running back to. Whatever the reason may be, you know you won’t be telling anyone any time soon.

8. Teacher Crush

Usually brilliant or funny or nerdy or a combination thereof, this is the one crush that actually helps you to focus in class.

9. Starbucks/Target/Chipotle Crush

You know, the guy who is always working at your favorite stores. Maybe you’ve struck up casual conversation, or maybe he’s got your order memorized, but there is just something about someone serving you.

10. Best Friend Crush

This crush comes from the purest place in anyone’s heart. It’s that feeling you get when you are so proud of your bestie for conquering her fear of speaking in class or when you see her strutting her stuff in an outfit that portrays all her greatest assets (which, from a best friend crush enthusiast, is every asset).

11. The Realest, Best, True Love Crush

For many, this crush may have not materialized yet, but it is the one that will put all others to shame. We’ll all wonder why we ever had others in the first place because he will complement your weirdness and compassion and beauty in all the best ways possible.

No matter if you’ve had all or none of these, who’s to say it’s such a bad thing to bring a little more love in the world?

Paige Netzel is a senior at the University of Iowa, studying English and Creative Writing with a Cinema minor. Coffee, creating playlists, and gratitude are essential to keeping her going. Check her out on Twitter for some hecka funny tweets or on Spotify for those dope playlists.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.