10 Ways to Deal with Beginning of the Semester Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

After a month long winter break, we finally head back to school and begin our second semester. Along with the relief of being back at our home away from home and being reunited with all of our college friends, comes the stress of beginning new classes and completing the homework they require.
If you’re like me and you don’t handle stress very well, there are many ways to relieve the tension brought on by classes, homework, or just everyday events.

1. Let’s Get Physical!—Working out or any sort of physical activity is a great stress reliever. It gets your endorphins going and makes you focus on your body’s movements, which in turn makes your stress fade away and puts you in a more pleasant mood. Taking a walk or going for a run, are couple physical activities that could improve your attitude.

2. Musical Therapy—Listening to music is a great stress reliever. It takes your mind off of what ever is bothering you and it helps relieve muscle tension as well. So, turn up the volume and let your troubles go.

3. Reach Out—Calling a friend, family member, or anyone that you are close with helps relieve all sorts of tension you are facing. Talking to someone about what is bothering you can help eliminate the problems by venting and discussing what is bothering you and they may even offer some great advice.

4. Laugh Until You Cry—Laughter is great medicine. Laughing takes away your mental burdens and causes positive energy to flow through your body and gives you a nice, relaxing feeling. Watch a funny movie, hang out with your hilarious friends, or look up a comical video on YouTube.

5. Do Yoga
Yoga is a relaxing activity that lets your body and mind relax by using a series of breathing techniques and postures. The downward dog could help brighten your day.

6. Catch a Few Zzzz’s—Taking a nap could be the answer you’ve been looking for. While sleeping your mind and body revive and you awake feeling more relaxed. You may feel like you don’t have time to sleep because you have so much to do, but sleep is a great way to feel refreshed and ready to accomplish your goals.

7. Sex—Breathing, touch, connection, socializing, and physical activity are all stress relievers and are all incorporated in to one. It releases chemicals that bring a rush of emotions that make you feel more relaxed.

8. Drink!—One glass of red wine at the end of your day can help you relax, but too many drinks and it can do the complete opposite. So, drink in moderation!

9. Journal—Writing in a journal can help relieve stress, by letting you release all of your emotions.

10. Healthy Eating
Eating a healthy diet can help relieve the stress in your life. It can help you feel better physically and emotionally and unhealthy food can do the exact opposite.

Sources:

Stress Relievers via Mayo Clinic

Tension Tamers

Emily is a junior at the University of Iowa and is studying Journalism and Pre-Law with a minor in Health Communication. She has been a part of the Her Campus University of Iowa team since it was founded in 2010 and is a member of Ed on Campus. She has grown to love magazine writing and editing and if she somehow can't land her dream job (to be Carrie Bradshaw), she wouldn't mind settling for a job in the magazine industry. If nothing else, she hopes to attend law school somewhere in the Bay Area out West, her favorite place to be. Since the age of 15, Emily spent her summers in California, doing internships and falling in love with San Francisco. Some of her other interests include her 4-month-old longhaired wiener dog Henry, blogging, celebrity gossip, sushi, Private Practice, fro-yo, being a journalism nerd, and anything involving good conversation with good people. Although she's not exactly sure of her plans for the future, she knows journalism will somehow be the driving force in her career.