10 reasons to be thankful you’re a Hawkeye

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

As Thanksgiving approaches, it’s important to give a little love back to the good ole’ University of Iowa.

1.Kinnick Stadium

When it comes to Iowa football, the Hawkeyes are it. Unlike a lot of states, Iowa has no NFL team. So, who do all the die-hards cheer for? You guessed it, the hawks. With all 75,000 seats packed with screaming fans, Kinnick on a Saturday is pretty tough to beat.

2.Tailgate

University of Iowa students are far from humble when it comes to tailgating ability.  And really, we have no reason to be. As tailgate season comes to a close, all we can do is wait until next fall and reminisce over why Iowa City tailgates can’t be topped. Need proof why IC tailgates are the best? We have it here.

3. Downtown

How lucky are we to have all of our favorite weekend hangouts with in walking distance of each other? Whether it’s Summit, Liner, Tini’s or Brothers, downtown Iowa City has got your weekends covered. Which leads me to the next point…

4. FOOD

Aside from the bars, who doesn’t love a slice of Mesa or chips and guac from Panch? Or maybe a little Formosa, Marco’s, Molly’s, Whitey’s, Short’s, Gumby’s…and the list goes on and on and on and on. Your wallet and waistline may hate you, but there’s no way you can pass these places up, people.

5.The rec center

Staying fit is easy when your campus recreation center looks like this. The CRWC has everything from a sauna and rock wall, to a lazy river and access to services such as a much-needed massage. Whether you would rather do your own thing on the equipment on one of the three floors, or take a class- the rec center has something for everyone.

6.The trees have sweaters

Need I say more?

7. Involvement

From clubs, to Greek life, to intermural- there’s something for everyone. The transition to college can be pretty tough, but finding a student org to keep you busy and make some friends is an easy way Iowa makes you feel right at home.

8. Dance marathon

Arguably one of the most rewarding experiences this school as to offer. Twenty-four hours of dancing all to raise money to support pediatric cancer victims and their families. Since the start of DM, 14.5 million dollars has been raised. Pretty cool right? 

9.Academics

Okay, so even though there are endless amounts of activities on campus that are completely unrelated to school, we can’t forget the reason why we’re really here (or why our parents think we’re here). TO LEARN. This school offers top-notch academics in all areas, but is especially noted for its medical and business programs. Needless to say, having the University of Iowa on your resume is quite the asset.

10. Just look at the pentacrest

There isn’t a season that looks bad on the old cap. 

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.