10 Movies To Look Out For This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

There are a lot of great movies coming out this year, and we absolutely can’t wait to hit the theater. With great student discounts at local theaters, it’s super easy to see a ton of great movies a low cost. Check out student rates and daily deals at your local theaters. 

1. IT — September 8 

You might have heard about this movie and seen the teaser ads on YouTube! IT is based on the famous novel written by author Stephen King and is about a group of children who come together to solve the mystery of a ‘monster’ hunting children in their town. The book’s supposed to be terrifying and creepy, so let’s see what this movie gives us.  

2. Kingsman: The Golden Circle — September 22 

We really enjoyed the first movie, and now there’s a second movie coming out! It’s all about spies and top secret organizations coming together to defeat the enemy. If you want a movie full of action and suspense, this is the movie for you. Besides, you only have to watch the first movie in order to catch up and after that you’ll be counting down the days for this movie’s release date. Plus, Taron Egerton is in it. *swoon* 

3. Flatliners — September 29 

Flatliners, is a science-fiction/horror movie that follows a group of medical students who are intrigued about the idea of the afterlife. They figure out a way to stop their hearts for a short amount of time in order to catch a glimpse of the afterlife. Creepy, but interesting, so we’re looking forward to this one.  

4. The Mountain Between Us — October 6 

Kate Winslet and Idris Elba take the spotlight in this movie. The Mountain Between Us is about two strangers who experience a crash and end up in a remote area, of a snow-covered mountain. Stranded, they have to find ways to survive, and work together to overcome the extreme weather conditions.   

5. The Snowman — October 20 

Michael Fassbender plays the role of a detective in this mystery/horror movie. The movie follows his investigation of the disappearance of a woman and her pink scarf that is mysteriously wrapped around a strange snowman. I love mysteries, so I’m totally excited about this! Bet you didn’t think a snowman could look ominous!  

6. Murder on the Orient Express — November 10 

My parents and I used to watch Agatha Christie’s TV series every week when it used to come on TV. So you can imagine our excitement when we realized that there was a movie coming out based on one of Christie’s most famous novels, and we’ve been counting down the days. The trailer of this movie is simply perfect. I can immediately identify the cast of this movie as the Dream Team. We’ve got Josh Gad, Penelope Cruz, Johnny Depp and so many more! The movie revolves around a murder and a famous detective, who tries to identify the murderer among thirteen stranded strangers before he decides to strike again.  

7. Star Wars: The Last Jedi — December 15 

For all you Star Wars fans, this one’s going to be epic! In continuation, to the last movie of the series, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, the new movie will follow Rey as she spends her next adventure with her friends and Luke Skywalker.  

8. Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle — December 20 

The movie I’ve watch so many times is the 1995 Jumanji with Robin Williams, so it’ll be fun to see a new perspective of the movie. The cast consists of Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart and Jack Black, and those are only a few of the actors! This movie has a bit of a modern twist to it. While the old Jumanji consisted of a board game, the new one consists of a video game console.  

9. Pitch Perfect 3 — December 22

If you thought it was going to end at Pitch Perfect 2, you were wrong! I’m not entirely sure how this movie will do in comparison to the other two, but we’ll find out soon, because we can’t get enough of our favorite a cappella group. The Bellas reunite for their final performance for an oversees tour but face challenges as they compete with more experienced and advanced groups.  

10. The Greatest Showman — December 25 

The Greatest Showman is a musical that emphasizes on show business and follows the birth of the idea has to how an ambitious individual took the initiative to create something that was recognized everywhere around the world. Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron and Zendaya are only a few names in the long list of famous actors taking part in this movie.   

Ridhima Jagtap is a college newbie, a.k.a a freshman, working towards a degree in the field of journalism. You'll often find her chasing after cats and watching adorable cat videos on YouTube. If she's not doing this then she'll be singing her lungs out so that her whole floor can hear her. She hopes to blow people away with writing what she's passionate about. Books, music and a lot of animals!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.