The 10 Most Influential Quotes of My College Career

Little over one month of classes, assignments and final projects separates me (and other December grads) from the cold, hard, adult world of post-grad reality, where everything accomplished in college becomes background to every adventure to come. In this high stakes climate where one door is closing to a portal so big and scary it’s bone-crushing, nostalgia comes easier than air. In passing down my top ten most influential quotes, lyrics and lines of poetry, I hope to bring comfort to those of you who have ever doubted your self-worth, intelligence or power to love. May these quotes bring you the peace they have brought me during these wonderful albeit challenging 3.5 years as a Hawkeye. P.S. #10 is a special shout-out to my Dad for believing in my ferocity even (and especially) when I did not!

10) Dan DeSousa, my Dad, on willpower:

9) Aibeleen Clark, “The Help,” on self worth:

8) Charles Bukowski, on life:

7) Shakespeare, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”: 

6) Kurt Vonnegut, “Slaughterhouse-Five”: 

5) Sylvia Plath, lines from “Lady Lazarus”:

4) Hundred Waters, “Show Me Love” (lyrics):

3) Albert Einstein, on imagination: 

2) Watty Piper, “The Little Engine That Could”:

1) A. A. Milne, “Winnie the Pooh”:

I am in my senior year and last semester at the University of Iowa, majoring in journalism, minoring in English and pursuing a certificate in creative writing. My passions include writing (poetry, short fiction and anything my mind must expel onto the page), working out and spending time with my friends. I stand by the aphorism, "the pen is mightier than the sword" and hope to use my skills as a writer to positively impact as many people on this planet as I can.