books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

10 Items You Should Always Carry In Your Backpack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

As college students, we basically live out of our backpacks during the day, so it’s important to make sure you have everything necessary to survive. It’s all about thinking ahead and packing what’s necessary. Keeping the things on this list in your backpack at all times will help you out in the long run, even if you think you won’t need it. 

1. A quick snack

We’ve all been there: you think you can sit through a few lectures without grabbing breakfast or lunch beforehand. But then your stomach growls and echoes through your lecture hall. Grabbing a quick snack just in case is always a good idea, so you’re always feeling energized and full throughout the day.

2. A plastic bag

This one might not seem as obvious as others on this list, but I’ve learned a valuable lesson recently: water damages electronics (shocker!). By carrying a plastic bag in your backpack, you’ll always have extra protection for your phone or laptop. 

3. Sunglasses

I always forget my sunglasses at home and immediately remember them as soon as I have to walk with the sun in my eyes. Keeping an extra pair stowed away in your backpack can prevent you from having to squint during your walk to class.

4. Emergency supplies

You never know what’s going to happen. Having some extra hair ties, deodorant, feminine hygeine products, etc. can keep you from panicking while on campus. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

5. A water bottle

It’s important to stay hydrated, so carrying around a water bottle is a must, especially at the beginning of the year when it’s hot out. Having a water bottle on you will also help you get your eight glasses a day!

6. Chapstick

Chapstick is especially useful once winter comes, and your lips get dried out. Nobody likes chapped lips, so keeping some lip balm on you all day will help combat them.

7. Headphones

Sometimes you just want to tune the world out. I always have a pair of headphones in my backpack for when I’m walking to class or for when I’m studying or doing homework. 

8. Umbrella

The weather in Iowa City is unpredictable. It can be sunny and humid for 30 minutes, and then it will downpour for the next hour. Once again, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

9. Phone charger

Nobody wants to be stuck with a dead phone or running around trying to find somebody with a charger. It’s better to keep one with you, so you can charge your phone in between classes.

10. Extra cash

You never know when you might need a few dollars. Like a lot of things on this list, it’s better to be safe than sorry because the one time you don’t bring cash is the one time you’ll need it.

Photos: cover1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.