10 Actual Reasons Iowa is Better than Iowa State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Iowa is a state divided, especially if you are a student at one of the two largest state universities. Iowa and Iowa state have had a rivalry since the beginning of time, and I have always stood proudly on the side of the Iowa Hawkeyes. I don’t think I knew exactly how strong my feelings were for the Hawks, however, until I actually became a student at the University of Iowa. It was then that I realized not only how much I adored the University of Iowa, but how much I absolutely despised Iowa State. Hi, my name is Emily, I’m a student, and I have a problem. With Iowa State. “Hi Emily.”

After starting school here at Iowa and completely falling in love with the university, I began to get more and more upset at the mention of Iowa State. I would seriously reevaluate my opinion of everyone I knew that went there. How could they not see what I see? That Iowa State is far inferior than Iowa, and anyone with a brain would attend Iowa, the best university in the world. Now, I realize that this is pretty bias, but I can’t fight the feeling. So, I decided that instead of opening my mind to the idea that Iowa State is not a shameful hole in the universe, I decided instead to look into why I harbor these hateful feelings against Iowa State. So, if you, too, can’t help the fiery hatred burning in your heart at the suggestion that Iowa State is even a decent school, I think these statistics might ease your troubled mind.

1. Football

If this past season is any indication, obviously Iowa has something figured out on the football field that Iowa State doesn’t. Iowa went 12 and 0 in their regular season this year, and Iowa State won 3 of their 12 games. Iowa also has a national championship in football, and Ames doesn’t.

2. National and Global University

Iowa is ranked 82 among national University rankings, and Iowa State is 108. Globally, the trend continues with Iowa ranked 128 in Best Global Universities and Iowa State falls short, ranked 165.

Overall, Iowa ranks better and does so consistently.

3. Male/ Female ratio

The University of Iowa’s male to female ratio is 52% male and 48% female, whereas Iowa State is 57% male and 43% female. We’re more evenly distributed between male and female, and although in some respects as a college girl, it’s nice to have more men on campus (wink wink), I love the fact that my university respects women seeking further education and keeps the ratio fairly even.

4. Class Size

At Iowa, 50.7 % of our classes have less than 20 students. At Iowa State, only 31.2 % of classes have fewer than 20 students. Having fewer people in classes offers students a better relationship with professors and allows students to have a more in depth learning experience. Take that, Iowa State.

5. Nightlife

Okay, so we know that Iowa is a top party school and that its students love to party. Iowa State students probably would like to go out on the weekends too, but honestly, where is there to go? In downtown Iowa City there are nearly one hundred restaurants, several of which are bars that attract students of every age group Thursday through Saturday nights, places to see films, shops and even art galleries, and our downtown is on campus.

In Ames, if you want to go somewhere on campus, sadly all you’re left with is a few “restaurants” (does Subway count as a restaurant?) and a couple of bars that are only 21 and up. If you venture further outside of Iowa State, there are places such as Main Street and Duff that provide more restaurants and maybe a couple other things to do besides eat away the sadness that is Iowa State’s nightlife, but these couple streets are really quite separate from Iowa State’s campus, so we’re not quite sure they even factor in to the University nightlife. But come on, we had to give them something.

6. UNESCO City of Literature

Being an Iowa student, this is something that I hear tossed around all the time, and usually I don’t think much of it. But, it really is something unique that we should be very proud of. We have the number one program in fiction, poetry and nonfiction, whereas Iowa State’s doesn’t even rank. Our Writer’s Workshop is known as the most prestigious in the nation. Iowa State… not so much. Historically, Iowa City has been a place for writers and literary figures, and prestigious institutions and programs have followed. We are the third City of Literature in the world, and this is really something to be proud of.

7. Wider Selection

At Iowa, we have a wide variety of majors and programs to choose from. We have 222 undergraduate programs, whereas Iowa State has only 160.

8. Grad School

Twenty eight of Iowa’s graduate programs ranked in the top twenty five nationally for their kind. Iowa State only had thirteen graduate programs rank within the top twenty five.

9. Outdoor Recreation

Iowa City was ranked Number 3 in Outside Magazine’s list of Best Cities to Live In in America. We have a plethora of bike trails, a large bike culture, we even have a bicycle themed bar and restaurant called Ride. Iowa City’s specialty is gravel riding, and we offer time-trial competitive gravel biking. In addition to our biking, Iowa City sits on the Iowa River. Although the river is pretty nasty, it’s nice to look at and provides some lovely outdoor scenery. Iowa City is also nearby Lake MacBride State Park, which offers trails for walking and biking, beach areas, and the reservoir. At Ames, they have a small man made pond that is the main outdoor attraction and a few trails to walk on, but nothing that lets you get out of the city and be with nature.

10. GPA

Iowa State’s average undergraduate GPA is 2.88. Iowa’s average GPA is 2.99, so we perform better in our classes. Our average high school GPA for incoming freshman is also higher, with Iowa’s being 3.66 and Iowa State’s at 3.5.

So, there you have it. Next year at the CyHawk game, you can proudly cheer on the Hawkeyes, knowing in your heart, that at the end of the day, we actually are better than the Cyclones. Rage on, Hawkeyes.

(Note: While all these facts are correct, this article is intended as a satirical look at the Cyclone-Hawkeye rivalry for the students at the University of Iowa, and not as a representation of how I, or Her Campus actually views Iowa State University. As an Iowan, with many friends and family members who have attended Iowa State University, I have nothing but respect for Iowa State. In fact, there are many statistics that would have argued the opposite case; for this article’s purpose and audience, facts were strategically selected, and again do not actually represent the high level institution that Iowa State is. I am filled with Hawkeye pride, but my Iowa Pride is always greater.)

Emily is a sophomore at the University of Iowa studying Communication Studies and Event Planning. She is a member of Alpha Chi Omega and her plans for her future are to simply eat so many waffles she becomes Leslie Knope.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.