This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

It’s that time of the year again. The time when the leaves change color, when pumpkin spice takes over everything and when movies become more spooky and scary. If you want to count down the days until the fright fest or simply want ideas for a marathon on Halloween, here are some good options, both classic horror and Halloween centered in no particular, to add to your queue. 

1. Coco

This movie is adorable and will have you singing “Un Poco Loco” for days. 

2. A Nightmare on Elm Street Series

One of the most iconic horror series. Freddy Krueger can make you laugh and be scared at the same time. Also young Johnny Depp. 

3. HalloweenTown Series You should watch these movies for nostalgia alone. We all wanted to live in Halloweentown at one point in our lives.  

4. Dale and Tucker vs Evil

This movie takes the stereotype of the rednecks being killers and turns it on its head. The comedy and gore will make this film an instant favorite.

5. The Thing

Two words: Kurt Russell. The scariest thing about The Thing is the unknown and the  paranoia. 

6. Final Destination Series

The unique part of this series is the killer is death itself. How do you cheat death? The deaths are so elaborate and suspenseful. Anything could be the end.

7. Hocus Pocus

Get your PSLs and your best Ghoul-friends together to watch the ultimate Halloween movie before someone puts a spell on you.

8. The Babysitter

This movie takes the classic teen stereotypes of horror movies and transforms them into the killers as they chase down a witness to their nightly activities.

9. Sleepaway Camp

This is such an underrated slasher movie! The killer is the last person you expect and the twist ending will leave you with your jaw dropped. 

10. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Series

Another classic series that everyone should see even when it is not Halloween!

11. A Nightmare Before Christmas

Is it a Christmas movie or a Halloween movie? Doesn’t matter. It is still a good movie to get your spook on. 

12. Evil Dead Series

A young Bruce Campbell as Ash Williams is perfection with his chiseled jaw and role as the hero. It is the original Cabin in the Woods movie.

13. Halloween Series

This movie started so many movie tropes from the final girl to the silent killer stalking around. The fear Michael Myers brings transcends generations. 

14. Crypt TV YouTube Channel

So this is not technically a movie, but horror shorts on YouTube. The shorts however seem so cinematic and can scare you in no time. 

15. Saw Series

Wanna play a game? Elaborate traps and even more elaborate deaths. The scariest part is the fact that the killer is not even a supernatural being, just a regular man. 

16. Trick ‘r Treat

Tales of a town and the adventures of their Halloween night. From werewolves to zombie kids, everything happens in this town, all in one night.

17. Child’s Play Series

The original creepy doll. Wanna play?

18. Scream Series

What’s your favorite scary movie? Also, McDreamy is in the 3rd movie.

19. Twitches 

Your favorite movie about twin witches. Relive your childhood. 

20. Coraline

Even as an adult, this movie still gives so many the creeps especially when you see black buttons. 

21. Beetlejuice

Just don’t say his name 3 times or you may end up in a musical number.

22. The Addams Family

They are THE horror family with the catchiest theme song. 

23. Ghostbusters

I mean who else are you gonna call?

24. Rocky Horror Picture Show

One of the weirdest, most eccentric movies ever created. You may not fully understand it, but that doesn’t matter with such amazing performances and songs.

25. Paranormal Activity Series

What’s scarier than your own home being unsafe and being attacked by something you can’t see?

26. The Haunted Mansion

It is your favorite Disney ride turned into a movie.

27. Scooby-Doo

From Saturday morning cartoons to live action, the Mystery Gang will leave you laughing.

28. Mickey Mouse’s House of Villains

All your favorite Disney villains taking over the House of Mouse. What a throwback!

29. Scary Movie Series

Parodies of probably half the movies on this list. Great comedy and horror jokes.

30. The Perfection

Stylistically beautiful with an amazing twist at the end. The two female leads do an amazing job portraying the horror of what it takes to be perfect. 

31. American Psycho

Another example of toxic masculinity, but taken to the extreme. 

Enjoy the creepy and spooky as we count down the days until all Hallow’s Eve. Hope these movies don’t give you the Netflix and chills as you watch them. Happy spooking!

Darby Morgan

Delaware '23

My name is Darby Morgan. I am from Coatesville, Pennsylvania, where I attended Coatesville Area Senior High. I was the school's talaria editor, captain of the track and field team and part of the ping pong club. I love photography, reading and watching Netflix. I am a mathematics major and psychology minor at the University of Delaware.
Contributor account