You’ve Read Rupi Kaur, Now What? The Best Poetry Books For Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Poetry is one of the best ways to connect to the human experience and feel, whether you’re writing it or reading it. But it can be intimidating to decide what poetry books to read, and to break into the poetry world if this is your first time diving into the genre. Maybe you’ve always told yourself you wanted to read more poetry, but you don’t know where to start. Or you’ve been a fan of reading short-form poetry on Instagram, but you want to attempt reading through a full-length poetry collection to see if you’ll like it. Or you’ve read some poetry books before, but you want to try your hand at some of the classics. 

No matter where you are in your poetry journey, today you’re in luck; I’ve compiled a list of ten poetry books to read (in order!) to help you continue on the road to falling in love with poetry.

1. Mouthful of Forevers by Clementine Von Radics

If you were ever on Tumblr, you might recognize lines from Clementine Von Radics’ poetry. This poetry collection centers around love and loss, and the poems are raw, emotional, and easy to connect with. It’s perfect for young women and those new to poetry without being overly simple. To me, this book is a reminder of how much love there is in the world, and that’s just one of the many reasons why I love it for poetry beginners.

Andrews McMeel Publishing / Amazon

2. Honeybee by Trista Mateer

Any of Trista Mateer’s collections are a good place to start with poetry, but Honeybee is my personal favorite. I credit this book for starting my own love for reading full-length poetry collections. Honeybee is about the aftermath of leaving love behind, and all the complicated emotions that come along with that. Mateer tackles themes of bisexuality, heartbreak, healing, and acceptance in this emotional book, and I always feel seen and held when I read it.

Central Avenue Publishing / Amazon

3. If My Body Could Speak by Blythe Baird

Have you ever heard of or watched slam poetry on YouTube? If so, you might recognize Blythe Baird’s name from the Button Poetry channel for the world-famous reading of her poem, “When the Fat Girl Gets Skinny.” Her poetry collection touches on the difficult theme of disordered eating as well as love, loss, and womanhood. This collection is full of heart and beautiful language, making it a perfect beginner read for any woman. 

Button Poetry / Amazon

4. Devotions by Mary Oliver

Mary Oliver is one of the best accessible yet academic poets for beginners to read, especially if you enjoy poems about nature and the beauty of the world. Devotions shares selected poems from Mary Oliver’s lengthy career, making it a perfect place to begin with Oliver and see if you like her style of work. Her insights into the natural world are treasured and she is a poet that has become a household name. Definitely a must-read in your poetry book journey!

Penguin Books / Amazon

5. Homie by Danez Smith

If you’re looking for a collection that centers around friendship and joy, this is the poetry book for you. Smith’s words are warm and exciting, and they masterfully weave themes of race and queerness into their work. Both lighthearted and yet touchingly deep, this is a great poetry collection for beginners because of Smith’s ability to connect with their audience and speak to true human emotion. 

Graywolf Press / Amazon

6. The Crown Ain’t Worth Much by Hanif Abdurraqib

Hanif Abdurraqib’s first full-length collection is demanding, energizing, and approachable as he writes of race, family, city life, and love. I especially love the pop culture references in this collection and how real the poems felt. This is such a powerful collection that pulls you into Abdurraqib’s world as a reader and refuses to let you go.

Button Poetry / Amazon

7. Stag’s Leap by Sharon Olds

The poems in Stag’s Leap chronicle Sharon Olds’ divorce, but their overall messages of heartbreak and moving on will connect with anyone who has fallen in love and had that love end. Reading Sharon Olds will give you a taste of the classic poets while remaining accessible and relatable. I love Stag’s Leap for its wonderful word choices and its ability to connect to its readers with universal human experiences while reminding the reader that you will be okay in the end.

Knopf / Amazon

8. Night Sky With Exit Wounds by Ocean Vuong

Ocean Vuong’s poetry leaves me breathless every time. A local poet hailing from Hartford, CT, Vuong’s poetry is a must-read for those just getting into the poetry world. This collection focuses on family, memory, and grief, and even won the Goodreads Choice Award for poetry in 2016. These poems will overwhelm you in the best possible way and leave you a better person for having read them. 

Copper Canyon Press / Amazon

9. Crush by Richard Siken

I struggle to find words to describe Richard Siken’s poetry. Crush is deeply dog-eared by anyone who has read it, and I don’t think any other poet has stuck with me the way Siken has. This collection is obsessive and confessional and has so many lines that just lodge themself in your brain and refuse to leave. Siken’s passionate and ferocious voice in this collection will connect especially with an LGBTQ+ audience, but I really recommend it for anyone (though don’t start here— definitely get a few books under your belt first!). 

Yale University Press / Amazon

10. The Carrying by Ada Limón

To end our list, we have a book by the 2022-2023 Poet Laureate of the U.S. Ada Limón is one of the best in poetry today, and her poems know exactly how to pull on your heartstrings. Reading Limón’s work genuinely changed my life; her language and line breaks are always pristine, and her poems tug at the core of the human experience. She’s the current Poet Laureate for a reason!

Milkweed Editions / Amazon

With these ten collections, you now have a great curated starter reading list for poetry! See if your local library carries any of these collections, or head to your local bookstore to find your next title. Happy reading!

Kayla Simon is currently a senior at the University of Connecticut working towards a B.A. in English with a double minor in Communication and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Some of her hobbies outside of Her Campus include reading and writing poetry, drinking iced oat milk lattes, listening to Noah Kahan, and taking photos for her photography business.