This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

There’s a lot happening in the world these days and it’s pretty hard to keep up with it all. But I think it’s super important that everyone has at least a little bit of understanding. So that’s why I decided to start writing a weekly roundup of the top five major news stories that broke within the past few days. Here’s to week one!

Amy Klobuchar Joins the Presidential Race

Democratic Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota announced her presidential campaign on Sunday, making her the fifth woman to join the race. Klobuchar made a name for herself recently during Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearing when the two exchanged some uncomfortable dialogue.

Klobuchar is expected to run a campaign centered upon her moderate politics and Midwestern roots. During her announcement, which happened in the middle of a snowstorm, she denounced the current divisive politics which plague the nation. President Trump later tweeted that her announcement was not timed well, given that she spoke of combating global warming in such snowy conditions and stating that she looked like a “snowman(woman)”. Klobuchar fired back saying that she was looking forward to future debates…and wondering how his hair would fair in such a storm

President Trump and Beto O’Rourke Rally in El Paso 

On Monday, President Trump headed to the border city of El Paso to rally support for his proposed border wall. Beto O’Rourke, a former Texas Representative who gained a massive following during the last congressional election, fueled the opposition by holding his own assembly. Trump believes that the existing fencing between El Paso and the Mexican city of Juárez is the cause of El Paso’s low crime rates. This is slightly misleading. Crime rates in El Paso are low, however they have actually increased since the construction of the fencing. Either way, the city served as a prime location to exhibit such radically opposing viewpoints, acting as somewhat as a preview of what to expect in the upcoming presidential election.

Paul Manafort

Paul Manafort, the chairman of Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign, once again made headlines this week. According to federal judge Amy Berman Jackson, Manafort “intentionally” lied to special counsel Robert Mueller’s office, the FBI, and a grand jury. One lie revolved around his interactions with a Russian associate during the campaign; an associate who the FBI has linked to Russian intelligence. This was done despite his agreeance to a plea deal that required him to tell the truth and fully cooperate with the Mueller investigation. Because of this breach, Manafort no longer has a chance at a reduced sentence. He does, however, still have a chance of a pardon from Trump.

Parkland

Thursday marked one year since the tragic shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida that took the lives of 14 students and three faculty members. The anniversary was a day of sorrow for some, anger for others, and just another day of grief for the parents of lost students. As the national debate over gun laws rages on, David Hogg and other classmates who spearheaded the March for Our Lives took to news outlets to spread their message once again. Since this tragedy, there have been approximately 350 mass shootings in the United States — almost one a day — and nearly 1,200 children have lost their lives to guns. According to the school’s principal, Thursday was “a day of service and love”, urging families to simply spend time with one another.

Government Shutdown

Friday served as the next budget deadline for the government. Negotiators in Congress struck a deal which included $1.375 billion for the border wall, falling very short of Trump’s originally desired $5.7 billion. This raised conflict on both sides, however everyone wanted to avoid another shutdown (the last one lasted 35 days). Trump signed the spending package but is still adamant about getting the money he claims he needs. On Thursday, White House officials said that Trump would declare a national emergency over illegal border crossings. This would effectively bypass Congress in an attempt to allocate more funds for the wall, an official claiming that they would gain around $8 billion exclusively for the wall. These funds will most likely come from other programs, such as disaster relief. Undoubtedly, this will be brought to court as the bounds of presidential authority are truly tested.

Taylor Friel

U Conn '20

Taylor is a senior double majoring in Political Science and Economics. This is her fifth semester in Her Campus and currently serves as Treasurer. If she’s not ranting about politics, she’s probably stalking dogs on social media or spending too much time making Spotify playlists.