‘You’ Will Never Guess How Part 2 Ended

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Warning: Contains spoilers and mentions of suicide.

After a month of anxiously waiting, Netflix released Part Two of ‘You.’ We left off with Joe discovering the identity of his stalker and vowing to take him down. Since the start of this season, we watched Joe try to turn a new leaf, as he wants to leave his past behind him and start fresh. However, over the course of these newly released episodes, we are “shocked” to learn that Joe just couldn’t resist his old habits.

Joe and Rhys: Their connection Explained

Part One left off with Joe discovering that Rhys Montrose was the Eat the Rich Killer. Since then, Joe has been lurking in the shadows and watching Rhys’ every move — nothing different from his usual routine. This stalking eventually leads to Joe murdering him. Yet, when Rhys first laid eyes on Joe, he had no idea who he was. 

To some’s surprise, we learn that Joe is the true killer. His memory and personality had officially split from one another, and the Rhys that we are all familiar with was a representation of his consciousness — and his murderous tendencies. In reality, the true Rhys Montrose was a simple and quiet politician that was in fact friends with Kate and her circle, but Joe had never officially met him.

Edward Speleers’ Instagram

The truth about marienne

If anyone truly believed that Joe was done being an obsessive sociopath, you were wrong. The last time we saw Marienne, she was boarding a train back to her daughter. However, what we, and Joe, soon discover is that he drugged her and placed her in one of his infamous glass cages in an abandoned building.

You Instagram Page

Due to him officially suffering a psychotic break, Joe had no recollection of him taking Marienne, which inadvertently almost left her to starve to death. He was shocked to discover this, but viewers were not. I mean, the only surprising thing that came from this was Joe thinking that he was not capable of doing this.

The new fan-favorite character Nadia starts to grow suspicious of Joe. This leads to her breaking into his apartment, and eventually discovering where he was keeping Marienne. The two create a plan to fake Marienne’s death, forcing Joe to dispose of her body. Thankfully, he doesn’t use the same methods he did for Malcolm.

Joe and kate’s New Relationship

In the season finale, we see that Joe and Kate have officially taken their relationship to the next level. Joe came clean to Kate about his past, including the fact that his name is not Jonathan Moore. After waking in the hospital after jumping off a bridge, he is confronted by Kate, and he shares his wrongdoings — which include him murdering her father. Normally, one who discovers this type of information would be fleeing, but oddly enough, Kate welcomes him with open arms.

We are then taken back to New York, where Kate and Joe are living a happy and public life. With her newly inherited wealth and power, Joe’s name is cleared of the Eat the Rich murders, and even in the death of Love. In fact, he came out to the public that he faked his death after she tried to kill him to protect himself. Such a classy move.

Season 5?

As of now, there has been no official announcement for You being renewed for a fifth season. However, that hasn’t stopped many from seeing how this ending sets up a plot for Season Five. Now that Joe is able to live his life as Joe Goldberg again, is it possible that he can actually put his murderous ways behind him? Or will he find a new group of possible victims? Only time will tell if and when You will be renewed, but I for one am desperate to see how Joe takes advantage of his new freedom.

Resources

If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 or text HOME to the Crisis Text Line at 741741. You can also reach out to the Trans Lifeline at 877-565-8860 or the Trevor Lifeline at 1-866-488-7386, or to your local suicide crisis center.

Michaela Elam is a sophomore nursing student at the University of Connecticut. She mainly writes articles based around entertainment industry, but is starting to branch out into more topics college centered. Since a young age, Michaela developed a passion for writing, and knew that she wanted to find an outlet to continue while in college. In the future, she hopes to work in the healthcare field as a Nurse Practitioner. In her free time, Michaela enjoys going to the gym, hanging with friends, and going for long drives. She is also an avid listener of R&B music, and is always down for a game of Uno.