Women Dress Sexy not Women Dress to Have Sex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Do women advertise for sex? Is what we wear an invitation? Do women sometimes dress wanting to have sex?

I would argue NO, women do not advertise for sex. My body is not a billboard saying ‘penetrate me now’ or any other sexual act for that matter.  Seriously though, what I wear should not have an impact on whether or not you feel it is okay to take advantage of me.

I would also argue that an invitation for sex is verbal not a non verbal based on what I am wearing. Guess what, a mini skirt and crop top is not your invitation, news flash guy at the bar, I wore this to feel sexy not to have sex.

Women sometimes dress sexy, and sometimes over the top but if that is what makes her feel good in her skin then so be it.

Then if all the answers are no, where does the problem lie? Where else; media

Media has shown us as a society that if a woman dresses a certain way that she is a slut and she is asking for it. Thus showing a little cleavage or a lot of leg has become unacceptable in girl world unless you want to be labeled a certain way.

Why do clothes speak volumes; when I bought a top at $12.95 it didn’t say anything to me. All I thought was that it was cute. Then why do I attract an audience of hormonal men and judgmental women when I walk into a party.

Well you could tell yourself that girls put others down and what they wear to feel better about themselves; I think I heard that from my mom. Or you can realize that you are probably looking hot, therefore nothing else matters.

The norms have been created for a typical ‘party-going’ outfit which usually includes something tight fitting and skin exposed. If this is an outfit that you feel good in and you feel sexy in it. Then rock it! You go Glenn Coco!

If you decide you want to get it in, when you go out; great. The misconception is that the way women dress is the advertisement for wanting sex. This is not true; how many times have you heard, “Well, if you hadn’t worn that maybe that wouldn’t have happened.”

I wonder if the people who have made these comments have seen a Barbie doll, walked into the women’s section of a Halloween store, or even just a women’s section in a department store. These are just three examples of how society, the media, and our culture have over sexualized what women wear.

Do not let how the sex culture views clothes ruin how you feel in them.