Shopping via Unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Shopping via Unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Cam Morin via Unsplash
Style > Fashion

Winter Style Guide: The Aviator Jacket is Back!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Aviator jackets are one of my favorite upcoming trends for this fall and winter. Originally known as “flight jackets,” they were created in 1917 by the U.S. Army Aviation Clothing Board to keep pilots warm.

Aviator jackets come in all different colors, materials, and lengths, but they’re usually black or brown. Aviator jackets are also super easy to layer over all kinds of outfits, including sweaters, dresses, or even loungewear. They’re a chic, comfortable alternative to the traditional puffer jacket. Inspired by Brigette Bardot and Marilyn Monroe, I’ve wanted to get my hands on one for a few months!

Below, I’ve compiled four different shopping options to get you started on your search for aviator jackets. On the pricier side, they would make a great addition to Christmas or birthday lists!

1) Boohoo Oversize belted Aviator

This black belted option from boohoo is an instant classic. Thick, comfortable, and oversized, the retail price is $145. But don’t despair — the jacket is frequently on sale for as low as $58! Grab it now to create warm and effortless winter outfits.

2) Mango Faux Shearling Lining Coat

This jacket from Mango is absolutely gorgeous and goes with everything. It’s on the more expensive side, but I’ve bought blazers, sweaters, and trench coats from Mango before, so I can safely say that the brand is worth the investment. Plus, keep an eye out for amazing deals from the Mango outlet!

3) Zara Double sided short jacket

Zara seems to jump onto every new trend, so of course, the brand had to make an appearance on this list. If you prefer wearing shorter jackets, look no further! You can find this brown aviator jacket (which runs large) on Zara for $149. Plus, check out more aviator jackets of all colors, lengths, and prices from Zara here.

4) PU Coat With Teddy Details

Feeling bold? Check out this super long option from NA-KD to add a statement piece to your winter outfits that’s bound to receive tons of compliments. This is the longest aviator jacket variation that I found, and it comes in both brown and black!

Conclusion

I hope these options get you started on your search to find the best aviator jacket! I’m still looking for an all-black one myself. For more affordable and sustainable options, be sure to check out local thrift shops, used boutiques, and websites such as Postmark, Depop, and thredUP. Happy shopping!

Chloé Hummel is the President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UConn. Chloé enjoys writing articles that help advance the goals of intersectional feminism. She also works as a marketing assistant for Globe Pequot Press in Essex, CT. In her spare time, Chloé enjoys yoga, pilates, and reading fantasy books. She is a passionate vegan, a 70s music enthusiast, and a poor piano player.