Why You’re Never Too Old for Coloring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Crayons, colored pencils, markers, gel pens, sharpies… when I was younger my favorite part of the day was using any of these tools to color. Whether it was in my Lisa Frank coloring book or just flying solo on my own creative artwork I loved  coloring (as I’m sure everyone else did). So why give up coloring? Don’t. You are truly never too old to color, and the new “Adult Coloring Book” craze has helped society realize that.

You already have the coloring tools

You don’t have to go out and buy new supplies- you probably have them lying around your house. Check your junk drawer, or that old bin that has been lying around in your closet. I’m sure you will find a ton of colored pencils. All you will need to do next is buy a coloring book.

There are so many new coloring books on the market

If you are in need of a coloring book, lucky you there are so many options out there right now. You can buy them in conveince stores like CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, and many more. They can also be found online and have ones especially made for adults (yes we are considered adults now, scary I know).

They have coloring books to relieve your stress:

Or coloring books to color in your favorite rappers:

They even have an unofficial Drake coloring book:

Mandala coloring books can be framed and put into your dorm room or apartment:

Coloring can be your new hobby

Take a break from sitting on your phone and start a beautiful piece of art instead. You will find that you want to finish your artwork instead of constantly checking your phone. I can’t tell you how many times I exit Instagram out and automatically open it again… that needs to stop.

Your finished artwork can be a great gift

Especially if you frame it. Mom would love a framed piece of art made by her daughter for Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day.

You don’t have to be an expert

Just stay inside the lines and your artwork will come out beautiful. If you’re more artsy you can try blending and shading for a truly stunning piece of work.

Tweet your colorings to @UConnHC; we would love to see what our fellow collegiettes are creating!

Social Media Director for Her Campus UConn. I am a Communication major and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies minor at the University of Connecticut. Currently a PR Assitant for Mintz + Hoke.