Why You Should Participate in Alternative Spring Breaks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Spring break is a time that everybody looks forward to.

No classes, no commitments, a break from the mad rush of school.

Many spend their breaks at home, vegging on a couch, watching Netflix and ignoring any looming assignments.

A few go tropical, to Florida or Mexico, and party on the beach all week.

Though these may be relaxing spring breaks in their own rights, one is unproductive, and the other may be too expensive. I’ve found a way to spend my break that is both relaxing, productive and allows you to travel the country, without breaking the bank.

For the past two years I have gone on alternative spring breaks, and both have changed my life. Last year, I went to Nashville, Tennessee, and completely sided and painted a home with Habitat for Humanity. This year, I went to Morganton, North Carolina, and framed a house with Habitat as well.

These experiences have taught me so much, not only about using power tools and the construction of a house, but about what service means and why it’s important. When you see the joy on the future homeowners face when she sees the progress that’s been made on her house, or even talk to the Habitat workers about their experiences with Habitat and what led them there, it can make you reflect on the choices you make in everyday life.

When I see my friends photos from relaxing at home all week or lounging on Miami Beach, I don’t feel the slightest regret, because I know I’ve made an impact on the world that I live in.

I highly recommend alternative breaks, and there are many opportunities to get involved in one. The easiest way is through Community Outreach, but always keep your ears open for opportunities!