This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Do you like cheesy, trope-y, stereotypical rom-coms? Do you like shows with fully flushed out and original female characters with a strong emphasis on friendship? Do you like foreign film or television and live for subtitles? If you check off even one of those boxes, you should be watching The Hook Up Plan, a French, Netflix original.

The show focuses on a group of friends living in Paris, France, who rally around their perpetually single friend Elsa as she grapples with her ex’s new relationship. One of her best friends ends up hiring a “gigolo”, or a male escort, to take her on a few dates and get her out of her romantic rut. What ensues, however, is a light-hearted story of love, friendship, and figuring out life in your 30’s.

With only 8 episodes in its first season, The Hook Up Plan has already made waves on social media as being one of the best shows produced on Netflix this year. While the story follows a pretty standard format in terms of a typical romantic comedy, the original and unique characters, hilarious writing and the beautiful setting of Paris, France breathe new life into what would otherwise be an overdone narrative.

With an already strong fanbase and positive reviews thus far, we can only hope that the show comes back for season 2, because c’mon, that cliff-hanger, though!

Sade is currently a senior at UConn, and is enrolled as a Human Development and Family Studies major. Sade enjoys binge-watching youtube videos, doing her makeup, and people who get her name right the first time meeting her (shah-day). Sade hopes to go into early education, preferably into teaching at a head start or birth-to-three center.