This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

When you ask someone what they’re watching on Netflix these days, Shameless is a likely response; it’s a favorite of Showtime and Netflix viewers alike. For those of you who aren’t familiar with it, Shameless is a comedy-drama on Showtime that follows the Gallaghers, a family of seven living on the South side of Chicago.The show premiered their ninth season on Sunday, September 9th. To add to the buzz of the new season, the show’s leading woman, Emmy Rossum (Fiona), recently announced that this would be her last season on the show. Fans everywhere who’ve grown to love the dysfunctional Gallagher clan were shocked to hear that the glue of the family was leaving the show.                                                                 

Fiona’s role as the breadwinner and motherly figure to her siblings in the Gallagher household has made her out to be the strong woman that is typical of today’s society. She endured numerous heartbreaks and family struggles but never really lost sight of herself or her goal of being successful. Her struggle to achieve her dreams reflects what some women experience: the desire to break free of the stereotypes surrounding their community. Fiona dedicated her entire young adult life to taking care of her siblings in the absence of their parents, but as she got older she realized that she deserved to have a life of her own. She made sure that her siblings knew that she was going to take ownership of her life and make something out of herself, whether they liked it or not. We love Fiona Gallagher because she is a force to be reckoned with and doesn’t let anyone hold her back.

Even among the mayhem that is the Gallagher family, Fiona managed to become a blossoming businesswoman. She got her GED and became a manager of a nightclub, Patsy’s Diner, and her biggest project, an apartment building. The odds were stacked against her, but with persistence and motivation, Fiona was able to start making money. She eventually bought herself a car, the only vehicle in her family. We love Fiona Gallagher because she knows what it means to work hard to get what you want.

Fiona certainly wasn’t all work and no play. She had a few relationships that fell flat (very, very flat). However, she was always able to realize when she deserved more and when it was time to move on. When her fiancé started using heroin again, she knew it was time to say goodbye. Whenever someone wasn’t giving her what she wanted, she was able to recognize it. Between boyfriends, she explored her sexuality and what she wanted in a life partner. We love Fiona Gallagher because she’s the ultimate 21st-century woman.

Fiona is a character that resonates with a lot of young women who watch Shameless. She’s always on the grind, and a girl can find herself relating to Fiona’s struggles in one way or another. Fiona will be dearly missed for her strong and independent personality, but it’s not all over yet. If you aren’t obsessed with it already, check out Shameless season 9 on Sundays at 9 ET to see Emmy Rossum in her last season, or seasons 1-8 on Netflix!

Sarah is a senior at the University of Connecticut majoring in political science and minoring in French and communication, and the current President of Her Campus UConn! In her spare time, she enjoys going to concerts, reading, and hiking.