Why “Verity” By Colleen Hoover Is A Thriller Like No Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

I was an avid reader for many years… until I just kind of stopped. I often found myself too caught up on social media to have any motivation to open a book. Naturally, after scrolling on TikTok for a while, I ended up on the book-related side of Instagram and TikTok. Recommendations came hurdling at me and I began to feel somewhat guilty for letting my love of reading slip away. I continued to read when it was required for school, but it felt like no book could ever bring my old self back. Eventually, after a nearly five-year reading hiatus, I chose Verity by Colleen Hoover as my next read. 

Verity’s protagonist is Lowen Ashleigh, a struggling author who gets hired to take over the series of bestselling author Verity Crawford, who has been injured. What Lowen discovers during her time at the Crawford house and while spending time with Verity’s husband, Jeremy, is disturbing beyond belief. 

Considering one of my favorite movie genres is psychological thrillers, it should come as no surprise that I absolutely loved this book. Verity is creepy, gripping, and will leave you questioning everything you thought you knew about the plot. Verity was so good that it makes me question how a simple 314-page novel could have such an effect on me. So, I think a bit of a deep dive is in order.

Book Read GIF by Faith Holland - Find & Share on GIPHY

1. The Dark and Disturbing Nature

Verity can get extremely dark at times, and I can’t lie – I live for the drama. However, please look into trigger warnings before considering reading this book. As much as I’d recommend this book to any thriller fans, there is definitely triggering content, so do not feel bad if you decide to sit this one out.

I am deeply fascinated by disturbing topics and the psychology behind them. With its relatively small cast of characters, Verity allows readers to get inside the minds of these complex humans – and, wow, are their minds a bit effed up. Some plot reveals made my jaw drop to the floor while others turned my brain upside down. The creepy vibes are also strong in this novel, so it might be best to avoid reading it at night. The best way I can think to describe the experience is that it’s like a Lifetime movie if a Lifetime movie was actually well written and thought-out. 

2. Writing About Writing

As someone who loves to write, a book about creepy authors is right up my alley. Its references to the publishing industry and the writing process make the novel feel very meta. The book leans into its literary focus and includes a novel-within-a-novel situation. Verity includes writing from both Lowen and Verity’s perspectives. While in Verity’s office, Lowen discovers a piece of writing that Verity has hidden from the public eye. Unlike other novels that may just describe this autobiological draft, Hoover presents us with full chapters written by Verity. As Lowen reads Verity’s writing she is able to vocalize the emotional reaction that we as readers often have.

3. Plot Twist Heaven

I don’t want to get into any heavy spoilers, but the plot twist in this book is insane. It is extremely well-executed, with a great balance of genuine foreshadowing and red herrings. Even the cover will have a different meaning once you delve into the story. By the end of the book, it’s hard to tell who the real villain is, which helps subvert cliches and makes the novel stand out. One of my favorite things about plot twists is that they allow you to rethink an entire piece of media with a different perspective. However, this twist is not exactly conclusive. Unlike other twist-filled novels, Verity allows readers to decide which pieces of information they choose to believe. This book will get you thinking and will likely warrant a re-read in the near future. While I typically struggle to finish a book, knowing there was a huge twist kept me turning the pages – and it was 100% worth it. 

4. Tons Of Online Discourse

Verity’s plot twist can be a tiny bit divisive. Thankfully, this means there is a ton of internet content that discusses the book. The novel became viral on BookTok (the book-loving side of Tiktok) in 2021, which led to an increase in readership. Online discourse can get heated, with people coming up with theories, picking apart potential plot holes, and breaking down characters. With such a robust online presence, it can almost feel like you’re in a little  community after reading this book. 

At one point in the novel, Hoover writes, “Find what you love and let it kill you.” It’s safe to say I took her advice; I loved Verity and it has been taking over my brain ever since I read ‘The End’ on the last page.

I give Verity by Colleen Hoover 5/5 stars

Emily is an Associate Editor for Her Campus UConn. She is a junior at the University of Connecticut studying journalism and communication. Emily enjoys writing about pop culture, lifestyle, film, and TV. Emily is a Copy Editor for The Daily Campus and the Social Media Chair for UConn Creative Writing Club. She also co-hosts and edits a pop culture podcast called ‘Girl Talk.’ Passionate about all things creative, Emily is often writing poetry, reading a book, or trying to teach herself a new skill. In her spare time, you can find Emily sipping on a coffee, crafting a new Spotify playlist, or obsessing over her dog.