Why Steve Harrington Deserves More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

*Warning: This post contains spoilers about Stranger Things – Season 2. 

Stranger Things 2 has now been out for a while, meaning most of you collegiettes who, like me, tend to procrastinate by binging TV shows, have probably seen it by now.

With the new season we’ve seen many changes in the dynamic of our favorite Hawkins citizens. From something as prominent in the plot as Eleven’s journey of self-discovery (and very dramatic wardrobe change) … 

to something as small as Dustin’s new teeth… 

to, most importantly, the emergence of Dad Steve.

Source: Twitter.com, @StrangerThings

After the first season, Steve Harrington did not have the strongest fan base. In fact, many people weren’t particularly fond of him. Thanks to season 2, it’s become extremely clear that Steve Harrington is the best character on Stranger Things. And I’m here to talk about why.

1. Dad Steve.

While all of the adults and older kids are running around trying to get #justiceforBarb, exorcising Will or bringing themselves to the brink of death by wandering around in the Upside Down, Steve is the only one who sticks around to help out and take care of the younger ones. 10 points for Dad Steve.

2. His bromance with Dustin.

Dad Steve shines through in many ways other than protecting the kids. He gives Dustin fatherly advice about relationships and hair care like the wise, older influence he is. We love you… and your Farrah Fawcett hair products.

3. He clearly knows how to have a good time, despite all the traumatic shit he’s gone through.

​Fighting a Demogorgon isn’t something you can easily get over, but Steve still tries to make the best out of his life. I think we can all learn that it’s okay to let loose and have fun every once in a while, regardless of what’s happening around us.

4. He wants Nancy to be happy above all else.

Like everyone else, Steve definitely knows something went down between Nancy and Jonathan when they went on their little trip. Even after she left town without telling him, told him that she didn’t love him and called their relationship bullshit (and so much worse), he encourages her to go with Jonathan while he takes care of her little brother and his friends.

5. He’s a badass. 

I don’t know about you, but I would most definitely not be able to successfully yield a baseball bat with nails sticking out of it. The fact that he didn’t even cut his face or accidently hit someone else is a miracle. And just goes to show how totally awesome he is.

6. He’s honest. 

Whether he’s questioning Dustin’s judgment on girls or giving his opinion on the fact that our favorite rag-tag group of kids hold the fate of the world in their hands, we can always look to Steve for a rational reaction to the situation at hand. That kind of honesty is something we all deserve in a friend.

Moral of the story: Steve Harrington deserves unconditional love, and we’re here to give it to him. 

Cover Image Source

Kathryn is a junior undergraduate at the University of Connecticut, studying Communication with a minor in Marketing. She holds the position of Twitter chair for her chapter's Twitter account.