person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

Why Kim Kardashian Can Post Whatever Selfie She Wants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

In case you’ve been in a comatose state for the last 24 hours and missed it, Kim Kardashian instagrammed a censored nude photo of herself early Monday morning and once again, broke the internet.

The reality TV star has since received an alarming amount of backlash, most notably from public figures such as Oscar-winner Bette Midler, actress Chloë Grace Moretz, and journalist Piers Morgan.

The first tweet came from Midler, who knocked Kim by writing “Kim Kardashian tweeted a nude selfie today. If Kim wants us to see a part of her we’ve never seen, she’s gonna have to swallow the camera.”

Keeks then fired back with two tweets.

As a self proclaimed feminist, it is unsettling to see Midler bashing another woman on such a public front. It was not that long ago that Midler condemned Ariana Grande for her ‘Love Me Harder’ music video. In an interview with The Telegraph Midler stated, “you don’t have to make a whore out of yourself to get ahead,” and described the video as Grande, “slithering around on a couch.” I’m not sure if Midler understands what it means to be a feminist, or if she just wanted attention, but someone needs to have a serious chat with her. While there are no strict rules as to what makes a good feminist, the basic understanding is that we stick together and empower women to do whatever they want with their bodies. So why does she feel the need to bring down another woman for posting a censored nude photo?

Midler may not be posting nudes anytime soon, and she has every right not to. Ultimately, the choice is hers and no one else’s, and that’s the beauty of feminism.

The next bash came from Piers Morgan.

To which Kim responded: Again, I am confused. Why did a 50-year-old white man feel it was appropriate to make this offer in response to a nude photo?

It’s not only incredibly creepy, but he goes on to write an op-ed in which he suggests that Kim posted the pic as a “desperate attempt” to stay relevant and that Kanye must have “seized her phone…since Kim’s usually very nice and polite on social media.” As if the patronizing tweet wasn’t enough, Morgan must make the implication that Kim is incapable of defending herself and paint her as a nice, polite, woman. The suppression of women’s voices around the globe is an issue far bigger than Mr. Morgan may realize and his misogynistic attempt to shut Kim up by chalking the tweets up to Kanye is nauseating.

Perhaps the least offensive yet exceptionally naïve response came from Chloë Grace Moretz who tweeted:

While Moretz’s tweet has since been deleted, the others have made no effort to take back or amend their words. Mortez later tweeted “There’s a huge difference in respecting the platform that you’re given as a celebrity and “slut shaming” something I never have done and would never do.” Mortez may not believe her original tweet could fall under the category of slut shaming, but she was still attacking Kim for posting an obviously sexual photo.

The fact is, Kim is a role model for many girls who feel their bodies don’t match society’s norms of beauty. Kim has taken her fame and profited from it like a true business woman. Kim does not drink in excess, use drugs, or have any sort of Britney Spears circa. 2007 meltdowns (we love you Britney). Kim K is #Goals and if anyone has a problem with that, they can kiss her big ass.

Norma is very excited to be starting her first semester at UConn. She transferred this Spring and is currently majoring in Allied Health Sciences. Her hobbies include butchering mainstream rap songs and misplacing her cell phone. She's mainly comprised of sugar, spice and everything nice with a dash of chemical X.  Norma hopes to one day become a PA and work in the ICU or trauma unit.