This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Valentine’s Day is one of those things that you either love or loathe.  Couples post up their fancy dinner dates and extravagant gifts for each other on every social media outlet.  You can’t go to a single store without being surrounded by plush animals seeming to scream, “Be Mine.”  Everything suddenly has been dyed pink and red.  It can get overwhelming, but let me let you in on a secret.  If you’re single, you’re already winning. 

There’s no denying that love is in the air on February 14th.  Self love is the most important kind of love.  Treat yo self, girl!  Buy that new mascara you’ve been eying.  Do a face mask.  Grab a bouquet of flowers to cheer up your desk.  Most importantly, eat chocolate!  Celebrate how awesome you are on your own, no strings (or boys) attached.  

Even if you aren’t in a relationship on Valentine’s Day, there’s still plenty of opportunities to wear your heart on your sleeve.  Sending “sweet nothings” to your best friends or family will brighten their day, and yours in return.  Everybody loves to know they’re loved!  Being single allows you to spend more time with the ones who are most important to you.

Most people spend Valentine’s Day appreciating the person that’s always there for them.  Honey, nobody’s got you like you got you.  Being single creates a new kind of confidence in yourself.  Time alone allows you to figure out exactly who you are, and that, my friend, is a gift.  You build appreciation for the girl boss you are!  There’s so much to love about yourself and there’s no better way to realize this than being single.  Slay, queen.  

Cover Image Source