White Roommate Who Terrorized Black Roommate Gets Arrested

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

A white student who bragged on social media about harassing her black roommate by rubbing used tampons on her bag, pouring moldy clam dip in her lotion and other disgusting acts, has been arrested.

Brianna Brochu, a freshman at the University of Hartford, posted on Instagram about how she finally got rid of her roommate, who she also referred to as the “Jamaican Barbie.”

The university confirmed they have arrested her, calling the reports “disturbing.”

Chennel “Jazzy” Rowe, the freshman roommate of Brochu, revealed what happened in a Facebook live video.

She describes being sick all while getting the cold shoulder by the roommate.

“It started with throat pain,” she said. “I thought maybe because it’s colder up here, I’m just catching a cold. After a month it got to the point where I had extreme throat pain that I couldn’t sleep, to the point where I couldn’t speak.”

“I’m spending my own money that my parents give me for food and groceries, the health center on campus is not free, in fact they’re expensive,” Jazzy explained that her tests would come back negative. She was given antibiotics by the campus doctor for the bacteria in her throat.

Below is the post from Brochu, detailing what she did to Rowe.

Hearing about this story made me livid beyond belief. How can you hate someone so much because of their skin color to the point where you would basically poison them? The fact that this is happening today just shows that racism is alive and well and we have a long way to go until it’s dead. I know personally if I were in that situation, I would’ve got to her before the cops did. I applaud the fact that she handled it with class and didn’t let it get her down. No one should have to suffer for the color of their skin.

Cover Image Source

Keyanna is a senior Journalism major, Women Gender & Sexuality Studies minor at UConn. She loves reading and writing just as much as she loves sleeping in! She has no clue what she wants to do when she graduates, but she has a while to figure it out.