When Art Imitates Life: A ‘Euphoria’ Season 2 Analysis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

*Trigger Warning: This article contains mentions of drug addiction, mental health issues, and other topics that may be triggering for some readers*

[Editors Note: The following contains spoilers for “Euphoria” season 2]

Well, that’s it folks— Euphoria season 2 is over. No more ‘Euphoria Sundays’ and analysis-filled Twitter sessions. Thankfully, the ending of season 2 left us with a lot to discuss. 

While a lot happened at the end of the season, I want to focus on Lexi’s autobiographical play ‘Our Life’ and the effect that it had on different characters in the show. 

This is your final spoiler alert.

Let’s Talk Titles

Euphoria episodes often have long and seemingly random titles. However, these titles tend to connect to the plot in clever ways. The title of season 2, episode 7, “The Theatre And Its Double” refers to a collection of essays by Antonin Artaud. In these essays, Artaud radically redefines theatre. In Artaud’s mind, theatre and reality are two completely separate things that have the ability to interact and ‘double’ each other. He says that “the real theatre must touch the senses before it touches the minds” and discusses the relationship between actor and audience. While this is all a bit confusing, it is a fitting title for an episode that shows how theatre can affect people in different ways and become an outlet for artistic expression.

Season 2, Episode 8 is entitled: “All My Life, My Heart Has Yearned For A Thing I Cannot Name.” This title was originally a quote from writer André Breton’s piece called “Mad Love.” “Mad Love” can be summed up as a fantastical case study on love in which the narrator is in a relationship with a mentally unstable woman. Sound familiar? This plot bears a bit of resemblance to the arc this season of Zendaya’s character Rue. Rue and her main love interest Jules have had a complicated relationship throughout the show. Rue has searched for a purpose and an outlet for her love, and for a while, it seemed as though Jules was the perfect person to fill that gap. However, as the show has progressed, it has become more and more clear that Rue is best when she is focusing on bettering herself. Although she might not fully love herself yet, as she noted in the episode’s final musical moment— she’s trying.

Wait, Is This F*cking Play About Us?

‘Our Life’ plays a bigger role in Euphoria than it might initially seem. Lexi Howard has been severely underrated and overlooked by both fans of the show and the other characters within it. Having Lexi get a chance to express her emotions and be praised for her ‘genius’ is nice to see for a character often left in the background for 10+ episodes.

Lexi’s play itself is entertaining, but it definitely takes some suspension of disbelief. Anyone that has ever heard of a high school drama department knows that their budget is often minuscule. 

The play opens up with a cast of teenagers being introduced through a school picture day montage. It is clear from the beginning that each character in the play is meant to represent one of the main characters on the show. 

It’s fascinating that the first scene is set during a school picture day. Pictures only capture a moment, and that moment can easily be misrepresented by a fake smile or neutral face. School pictures are often deemed as misrepresentations or just generally bad photos. The fake lighting and strange setting create a situation in which we want to come off as pretty or put together, but the odds are generally against us. I’m not sure if this is giving Lexi too much credit, but I think that this can serve as a microcosm for adolescence as a whole. We spend so much time worrying about how others perceive us that it becomes impossible for others to see us as we truly are. 

Art Is Dangerous

Not only did the play finally give Lexi a chance to shine, but it held up a mirror to society— and it seems like some people can’t handle their own reflections. 

Sad Sydney Sweeney GIF by euphoria - Find & Share on GIPHY

And by some people, I mean Cassie. Lexi’s infamous older sister has had quite the journey this season. I would argue that she has dug herself deeper and deeper into a hole in each episode. Her relationship with Nate is clearly not healthy but she has convinced herself that the benefits outweigh the negatives. 

Social status is one thing, but it’s clear that Cassie cares deeply about sticking to her word and being seen as a “good person.” She cannot admit that what she has done is wrong and has repeatedly shut down anyone that tries to point it out. However, when you’re seeing your own actions being played out on stage, it’s a bit harder to convince yourself that you’re the perfect angel you want to be. For Cassie, the play was sort of a confirmation that she is nowhere near this “good person” persona. Not only that, but everyone else knows it now too. 

On the other hand, for Rue, seeing the play was a more positive experience. Rue has spent a lot of high school convincing people she’s not high and avoiding her past traumas. Many of her memories were also altered or tarnished by her drug use. By attending the play Rue is able to see that she is not as bad of a person as she has always assumed. Re-hearing conversations she had with Lexi serves as a good reminder to Rue why their friendship was so important in the first place. By seeing herself through Lexi’s eyes, Rue can better understand herself and her own motives and possibly even forgive herself for some of the mistakes she has made.

Clapping Applause GIF by euphoria - Find & Share on GIPHY

So What Now?

As much as I enjoyed season 2 of Euphoria, I would be lying if I said these final episodes didn’t leave me with many unanswered questions. Does Rue still owe Laurie the drug dealer money? Are Cal and Fezco going to go to jail? What will happen between Cassie and Nate? 

It seems as though showrunner Sam Levinson has left us with these questions so we will be even more eager to tune into season 3. Or maybe it’s just a case of some bad writing. Either way, Levinson definitely succeeded in creating a finale that is entertaining, thought-provoking, and slightly confusing.

All things considered, I’ll likely be glued to my seat when the next ‘Euphoria Sunday’ finally rolls around. 

For more, check out HBO’s ‘Enter Euphoria’ episode breakdown:

Emily is an Associate Editor for Her Campus UConn. She is a junior at the University of Connecticut studying journalism and communication. Emily enjoys writing about pop culture, lifestyle, film, and TV. Emily is a Copy Editor for The Daily Campus and the Social Media Chair for UConn Creative Writing Club. She also co-hosts and edits a pop culture podcast called ‘Girl Talk.’ Passionate about all things creative, Emily is often writing poetry, reading a book, or trying to teach herself a new skill. In her spare time, you can find Emily sipping on a coffee, crafting a new Spotify playlist, or obsessing over her dog.