This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Studio Ghibli is a well-acclaimed Japanese animation studio that is known for creating the most iconic animated films. Growing up, I watched a lot of their most well-known movies and they continue to hold a special place in my heart. With enchanting worlds and memorable characters serving as a constant source of creativity and wonder, it’s easy to tell what your favorite says about you!

My Neighbor Totoro

If you enjoyed this whimsical story of forest spirits, then that tells me you’re an innocent soul and child at heart. You often reminisce on your younger days, when things were simpler and carefree. This brings you comfort as you navigate through the complexities of adulthood, and helps you keep a lighthearted and optimistic outlook on life. You also possess kindness and empathy for all life and understand the harmonious connection between nature and people. You would probably enjoy a picnic in the park or a hike up the mountains with family.

Ponyo

This adorable movie perfectly captures the purity and innocence of young love. If Ponyo is your favorite, then I can assume you’re a warm and welcoming person. You have a vivid and colorful personality, always looking for a way to brighten someone’s day. You’re definitely the jokester of the group and your room is probably a bright color like blue or yellow. You live life to the fullest and find joy in the little things. You’re a reminder that life is never that serious for your friends. You also probably love a sunny day at the beach and will look for any chance to go swimming!

Princess Mononoke

This strong tale unfolds the story of a wild princess and prince determined to protect what they believe in. You are probably just like the protagonists: wild, but brave. You’re a force to be reckoned with, demanding respect wherever you go. You face obstacles head-on and are a firm believer in fighting for what’s right. This strength encourages you to speak up, especially for those who can’t. Your identity is also influenced by your spirituality, which gives you a sense of purpose and meaning. You’re able to see the bigger picture and share your inner peace with those around you.

howl’s Moving Castle

If Howl’s Moving Castle is your favorite film, then you are surely a hopeless romantic. This animated movie seamlessly blends love and magic together as it follows the story of a young girl and a wizard. You have an enormous heart and it’s filled with hopes and dreams of true love. That’s not all there is to you though, as I can say you are very strong-willed and courageous. You’re a giver and you’ll give even when you have very little left. You see the beauty in everything which fosters gratitude towards the world and the people close to you. It’s also probably your favorite because you can’t help but feel attracted to that charming wizard, Howl…

Spirited away

Spirited Away is a movie from my own childhood, and one that tells the story of a young girl lost in the spirit world. If this Studio Ghibli film is your favorite, then you are a shy, but kind individual. You may need a little push or guidance when navigating hardships you come across in life, but you never give up. I can also tell you’re probably a very warm-hearted person, always seeing the best in people and giving them the benefit of the doubt. Your favorite books are probably that of fantasy and magic, something to help you escape your world.

kiki’s delivery service

Kiki’s Delivery Service is a charming Studio Ghibli film that follows the adventures of a young witch named Kiki as she discovers herself and her independence. Liking this movie means you’re most likely a quick learner who loves a challenge and learning new things. With an unwavering desire to follow your heart, you take unique paths and welcome change, despite how difficult it may be. Creativity is a part of who you are; it’s the source for all your original ideas and goals. You also happen to be very stubborn, which is sometimes viewed as a weakness but helps you stand your ground in the face of trouble.

Arrietty

One of Studio Ghibli’s classics, Arrietty, captures the curiosity and wonder of the world. If you find yourself relating to this film, then I can tell that you’re the epitome of a cool-headed person who remains unfazed by stress. You have a relentless courage that empowers you to take on any challenge and transform all your failures into opportunities for growth. You have an incredible desire for adventure; always pushing boundaries and welcoming the unexpected. You’re that friend that everyone can come to because your loyalty is never questioned.

from up on poppy hill

From Up on Poppy Hill is a joyful and nostalgic movie about two children in Japan during the 1960’s. A love for this movie communicates that you’re the embodiment of responsibility and maturity. From a young age, you became the dependable older sibling, often taking on more responsibility than normal. You are probably the anchor of the family, the person everyone turns to for support. Beneath your well-composed exterior is a person who carries intense emotions. You care deeply about your family and friends, which is often a cause for your worries. You have a profound sense of love, and it’s your caring nature that compels you to take on as much as you do. Remember, it’s okay to let go a little and let your loved ones take care of you the way you have for them.

There are so many more movies from Studio Ghibli, and these are just some of their most popular ones! It’s so amazingly easy to lose yourself in these captivating worlds, where creativity has no boundaries and emotion and beauty are skillfully combined. Studio Ghibli films are known to transport viewers into a realm of magic, wonder, and powerful emotions. I strongly recommend watching at least one from the list!

Tatyana is a driven individual, balancing her role as a dedicated nursing aide with her pursuit of higher education in human development. Her ultimate aspiration is to become a registered nurse, a testament to her commitment to healthcare and helping others. Beyond her professional pursuits, Tatyana is fueled by a deep passion for empowering young women and engaging in conversations about mental health and self-growth. She's incredibly girly, with a slight obsession with all things pink and an undying love for her cat, Hallie.