What to Do Instead of Going Out at UConn Storrs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

For some people, college is filled with going out, partying, and other social events. But for others, college is a time when you might have maxed out your social battery or can’t listen to music anymore. Or, maybe you were never into partying and going out in the first place. If you fall into any of these categories, here are eight things, either for free or for a small fee, you can do alone or with a group of friends on the weekend instead of partying.

1) Go to UConn Late Night

UConn offers many things to do on the weekends. In particular, UConn Late Night provides fun-themed nights where you can make arts and crafts, listen to music, eat food, and sing karaoke! Check out the Late Night Instagram for weekly posts and an updated schedule. The Student Union Game Room is also open Sunday until 11:00 pm and Friday and Saturday until 11:30 pm. They have a pool table, ping pong, arcade games, board games, and more.

2) Attend sports events

UConn has so many excellent sports teams. Attend one of their events! Check the UConn Athletics Composite Calendar for a schedule of weekly games. All sports games are free for UConn students. In some cases (basketball, football, soccer, and baseball), you will need a free ticket bought on the UConn website with your NetID.

3) Get some work done

This might not be fun to hear, but it helps in the long run. Getting a slightly early start to the week can save you so much stress. It can also allow you a bit more downtime throughout the week. 

4) Go out for dinner with your friends

Plan a night when you and your friends can get together and have dinner. The town of Mansfield, Storrs, and the surrounding areas have a ton of great local restaurants. If you don’t want to go out, make dinner! Meet up in a building with a kitchen and buy something that everyone will enjoy.

5) Go ice skating

Mark Freitas Forum on campus has ice skating during the school year. They have sessions open to the general public and separate ones available only to UConn students. Admission is free with a UConn ID and renting ice skates costs $7.00.

6) Join a club that meets on the weekend

Many clubs might meet during the week but have activities during the weekends. For example, UConn Outing Club meets on Wednesdays at 9 p.m., but many of its events are on the weekends. Hiking, biking, skiing, all of the -ings! If you aren’t an outdoors person or don’t feel like spending a night in the middle of the forest, they also have recurring weekend day trips that might be up your alley.

Check out UConntact for other clubs that might meet or have activities on the weekend.

7) Read the Daily Digest

Many students disregard the Daily Digest as spam or unnecessary; however, this is the place to get all your UConn information, with plenty of activities to do during the weekend. A few weeks ago, the Center for International Students and Scholars hosted a day trip to Lyman Orchards. There are also scholar seminars given throughout the week and opportunities for volunteering. If you’re looking for something to do at any point throughout the week, this is an excellent resource.

8) Stay in.

Sometimes, the best thing you can do is stay in and spend some time with yourself. Do that thing you’ve wanted to do for a while, whether that be watching a movie, finishing (or starting) a book, or working on a personal project.

If you find that going out is not your thing anymore (or never was in the first place), there are many things to do instead on campus. Keep your eyes peeled on social media and your email for updates on events that might lead you to a fantastic opportunity. UConn Storrs is a huge campus that has so much to offer.

Julliana is a junior at the University of Connecticut majoring in history and journalism. When she isn't trying to understand the fundamentals of ancient Vietnam in class, she enjoys watching reruns of Gilmore Girls, watching recently released movies, and listening to old music.