This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Every college student should be listening to podcasts. Hear me out: they’re tailored to your interests and needs, they’re available on the go, and they’re FREE. Need I say more?

In all seriousness though, the task of choosing the podcasts that are right for you might seem a bit daunting if you’re new to the podcast world. There are hundreds of thousands of podcasts available today that range in topic, host, length, etc. To get you started, here are a few suggestions I’ve compiled based off of several different interests. 

Podcasts to stay up-to-date on the news:

As a college student, it can be hard to keep up with the news, especially with the fast-paced information cycle these days. News podcasts are a great way to solve this problem because it’s an on-the-go solution. I usually listen to “The Daily” or “Up First” when I’m getting dressed, eating breakfast, or walking to class. Besides, with elections coming up in a year, it’s more important now than ever to stay educated about what’s going on nationally and globally.

The Daily:

I’ve been listening to The New York Times’ “The Daily” since it came out in 2017. It’s about 20 minutes long so it does take a bit more time, but in my opinion it’s totally worth it. The show also gives you a really cool behind-the-scenes look at the journalistic work of the reporters at The New York Times. The podcast is structured so that the first 15-20 minutes are a deep dive into one issue, and then the last few minutes are spent discussing “what else you need to know to know” for the day. 

Up First:

NPR’s “Up First” is also a great option if you’ve only got 10 minutes and need something a little less time-consuming. This show gives you a brief, yet informative rundown of the day’s most important issues.  

Podcasts for “nerds:”

If you’re somewhat of a nerd (as I am) and are looking for a more educational podcast then these podcasts are for you. And, to whoever needs to know this: educational podcasts aren’t boring! I often find myself listening to these at the gym or on my way to class and getting completely wrapped up in them. There are tons of interesting podcasts specific to certain interests and topics, but here are some of my favorites.

Freakonomics:

Freakonomics is based on a huge variety of topics within the realm of socio economic issues. The host, Stephen Dubner, brings on all kinds of people – scientists, professors, business owners, authors, and athletes – to talk about the work they’re doing on the show. Some of my favorite episodes have been about the workplace environment, Trader Joe’s, the Girl Scouts, sports gambling, political parties, etc. There’s truly an episode for everyone. 

Hidden Brain:

NPR’ “Hidden Brain” is also one of my favorite shows. This podcast focuses more on human psychology and how our minds affect our behavior and thoughts. Some of my favorite episodes have been about empathy, consumer behavior, social classes, and the impact pets have on our lives.

Podcasts for a study break (and a much needed laugh):

Sometimes, you’re just not in the mood for heavy content and need a lighter episode to lift you up. These types of shows are great for when you’ve been studying for an exam for three hours or cranking out that essay for a W course and could really use a break. They are sure to make you laugh and forget all about that group project due in a week.

Betch Slapped:

Betches’ “Betch Slapped” is hilarious, but also talks about extremely important topics like The Bachelor, flirting over social media, celebrity gossip, how to deal with friend group drama, etc. Sometimes you just need to feel like you’re chatting with your girlfriends, and this podcast fits the bill.

Office Ladies:

This show hasn’t even been released yet (it comes out October 16th), but I am too excited about it for it not to be included in this list. The Office Ladies is hosted by Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey, a.k.a. Pam and Angela from the hit-show “The Office.” Together they go through each episode of “The Office” and discuss behind-the-scenes stories about the making of the show. I listened to the four minute trailer and I can already tell it’s going to be good. 

Podcasts for true crime fans:

It seems like the true crime genre of podcasts is all the rage these days. To be honest, I don’t listen to these types of shows to much because I legitimately will get nightmares if I do, but here are some of my favorites that I’ve listened to. 

Serial:

After listening to the first season, Serial had me hooked. I finished in a few days and listened to it whenever I had the chance. In the first season, the host, Sarah Koenig investigates whether or not Adnan Syed killed his ex-girlfriend when they were in high school. Each season is based on a different crime which keeps the show fresh. 

Man in the Window:

This podcast dives into the origins of the Golden State Killer, a famous serial killer of the 70s and 80s. The show is produced by Wondery which has made other successful true crime podcasts like “Dirty John” and “Dr. Death.”

Hopefully, these suggestions will make the world of podcasts seem a bit more approachable. Good luck on your search for the right podcasts for you!

Jenny Gorski

U Conn '21

Jenny is a senior at the University of Connecticut. She is studying Political Science with a minor in Psychological Sciences. Jenny loves going on long hikes, nerding out over her favorite podcasts, having classes unexpectedly canceled now and again, and hanging out with her pets, 2 cats and 2 dogs, all of whom she misses constantly while away at college.