What it Means to Be on a UConn Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

In high school, I had a hard time coming to terms with the fact that my dance career was coming to an end.  I was unsure of whether or not I would dance in college, or even have the opportunity to do so.  Since I was three years old, dance has been the largest part of my life.  I never pictured myself moving on from this chapter.  I grew up wanting to be a teacher at my studio and thought I would spend the rest of my life instructing dance.  I began dancing for my high school’s dance team in addition to my studio.  Being on the dance team gave me the opportunity to compete, and I fell in love with the rush.  I realized that I could dance whenever I wanted through my own choreography, but if I didn’t find a way to continue my competitive dance career in college, I would go crazy.  

I had watched the UConn Kickline team perform at the CIAC State Championship year after year.  I had even traveled all the way up to Storrs to take their kick clinic.  I had the utmost respect for this team and was very interested in joining, especially when I committed to UConn.  At the Fall Involvement Fair, I sought out their Club Sports booth and got all the information I could.  I watched past performances, learned kick technique, and stretched several times a day to ensure that my tryout went smoothly.  I wanted this so badly.  

Being on a UConn team is a much different experience than dancing for another college.  The pride of being a Husky shows in each of our performances.  We cheer on our teams with admiration and share the emotion in their successes and losses.  Our school is known around the world, and when I wear my UConn uniform, I hold my head high.  It’s an honor to represent such an esteemed university.  Being able to compete and give the UConn Huskies just one more thing to be proud of means a lot to me.  I love being able to contribute to such a successful sports program.  

On a personal level, being a member of UConn Kickline has been the experience of a lifetime, and it’s only my second year.  It has given me greater appreciation for a style of dancing that’s new to me.  I have learned how to budget my time and prioritize my schoolwork in combination with my practice schedule.  It has exposed me to the types of people I want to spend my time with.  From having “family” dinners, to sitting with each other in class, to just hanging out and having movie nights, there is no group of women I would rather affiliate myself with.  They are strong, fierce and caring.  They are my role models.  My teammates are my sisters, and I cannot wait to grow even closer with them as our years of dancing together continue.   

Cover photo provided by Emily Wrogg