danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

What To Do Over the Summer When You Didn’t Get That Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Don’t beat yourself up this summer for not landing an internship opportunity. You are not alone. Here are some ways to be productive this summer and make the most of those 3 months:

1. Learn a new language

There are so many apps on the app store that can help you learn a new language over the summer. Duolingo is a great app that reminds you to always practice so that you can become more and more familiar with the basics of the languages they offer. Learning a new language will allow you to put down a new skill on your resume and present more opportunities to you! Check out Duolingo here. 

2. Develop a healthy habit or a new skill

Let’s face it; it’s really easy for us to say,  “I’ll work out next week.” Then, next week rolls around and you make another excuse for it. You end up pushing it off, and not realizing that you let a whole semester slip by without stepping into the gym. Or, you try to become a huge health nut overnight, and then quit after a week. Instead, use this summer to develop a healthy habit. It can be exercising, journaling, painting or anything that helps you relax and makes you feel better. Having a healthy outlet to relieve yourself of the stresses and strains we encounter in life will be better for you in the long term. Remember, it takes 21 days to form a habit! It’s now or never! 

3. Take a summer course

I know what you’re thinking: I don’t want to study, college summer classes are expensive, and I don’t want to even use my brain during May through August. But listen, it was just a suggestion. However, I think that if there was a class you didn’t do too well in or a few courses you need to get out of the way to graduate on time, you might want to consider it. Some people take college summer courses at a community college for a cheaper price, but talk with your advisor about what courses are transferrable. I took a public policy course over the summer and I really enjoyed it. Plus, it is good to boost your GPA if that’s what you want to do (I’m pretty sure everyone wants to do that). 

4. Declutter

Do you hoard things? Do you have a pile of clothes that you keep just in case you might need them but you don’t actually use them? Do you cling onto things that you associate with certain memories but you should really get rid of them? Or do you just have a lot of things that you don’t really need? Well, now’s the time to get rid of unnecessary things! You will feel a lot better when you move back in with fewer items to stress about.  Plus, you can resell your old clothes on apps like Depop or Poshmark to get some extra cash. 

5. Volunteer 

Honestly, yes money is great but so is volunteering. Try to find volunteer opportunities that can be related to your major that could potentially provide you with an internship or career in the future. You can do community outreach, volunteer to help at a local summer camp or anything that would interest you and make you feel better. Volunteering is also a great way to build your network and refine your skills! 

6. Travel to a new place

If you have spare money to travel with friends, family, a significant other or just by yourself, you definitely should! Traveling to new states or countries will allow you to open up your perspective and appreciate things out of your comfort zone. As a political science major, I truly enjoyed visiting other countries and being able to immerse myself into different cultures. By having a wider perspective, you will be able to become more open-minded to things that are unfamiliar to you. 

View this summer as a time for you to become a better person. If you grow, mature, discover something new about yourself or change your lifestyle, you will be entering the fall semester as the new and improved version of yourself. Don’t beat yourself up over not getting an internship this summer. Remember, you didn’t get something for a certain reason! There is something else better waiting for you out there :)

Jillianne is a political science student who loves to travel, workout, and most importantly, eat.