We Were All Feeling ‘Greedy’ Waiting For This Release

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

These days, the majority of songs that we have on constant repeat originate from TikTok, and this song here is no different. Many of us know the name Tate McRae, especially from her hit single, “You Broke Me First.” She has since been one of many faces behind some of our favorite pop anthems, and she once again outdid herself with her newest release “Greedy.” Since having teased the song in early August, fans have been demanding McRae to release the full version, and she soon did.

Tate Mcrae’s Instagram

female empowerment — yes, please!

If you are looking for a song that is all about being confident within yourself when going through the dating process — this is the perfect song for you. Many of us have been on dates where the individual had some form of entitlement. With this song, McRae shuts that down entirely, by telling these men that they shouldn’t be getting “greedy” as being with her is a privilege that many do not get to experience. She also goes as far as to address the ones wondering if she knows they want her, by responding that she would also want her — as she should!

“I would want myself
Baby, please believe me
I’ll put you through hell
Just to know me, yeah, yeah
So sure of yourself
Baby, don’t get greedy”

Tate McRae — Greedy

McRae also wanted this song to show the world that she does not only sing “sappy” songs, and to prove that she has an edge over herself. In an interview with People, McRae stated, “I feel like I have this persona sometimes on the internet of being this sad girl songwriter… But then there’s also this whole other side of my personality that so many people don’t know until they actually meet me…”  It is safe to assume that “Greedy” did in fact show that there is more to her than sad, love songs. 

Fan Reactions

Since the release, McRae has received admiration from fans and fellow musicians alike. Having sampled Nelly Furtado’s single, “Promiscuous”, many have given praise for taking such an iconic song and turning it into something of her own and making what some would consider one of this year’s best pop tunes. With McRae currently on tour, fans have wasted no time in learning the lyrics and showing how much they love it. Here are a few reactions shared online:

A Message to Listeners

If there were a message that we should all take from this single, it is that we should be greedy with whom we let get close to us. There is no shame in proceeding with some caution when getting to know a new potential love interest, or even in just a new friendship. Many of us have gone through horror stories of getting close to people and being hurt or disappointed at the outcome. 

With this song, McRae reminds listeners that they need to carry that “main character” energy when it comes to relationships. Remember that it is a privilege for people to get to know you and that you will always “want yourself” before anyone else gets the chance.

Michaela Elam is a sophomore nursing student at the University of Connecticut. She mainly writes articles based around entertainment industry, but is starting to branch out into more topics college centered. Since a young age, Michaela developed a passion for writing, and knew that she wanted to find an outlet to continue while in college. In the future, she hopes to work in the healthcare field as a Nurse Practitioner. In her free time, Michaela enjoys going to the gym, hanging with friends, and going for long drives. She is also an avid listener of R&B music, and is always down for a game of Uno.