Waiting to Hear from Graduate School As Told by Michael Scott

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Senior year: a year defined by inevitable endings and new beginnings, a time in which everyone suddenly cannot stop describing everything that provokes the slightest bit of nostalgia as “bittersweet,” and, perhaps most importantly, the year that you *might* actually win the basketball ticket lottery. But life is not as simple as free buttons and submitting your senior scoop idea, especially if you have applied to graduate school. And now, instead of “chilling” you are filled with the fear of the great unknown as you play the waiting game that decides your fate for your post-graduate life. Get the picture? If not, the ever-so eloquent Michael Scott and I will inform you as to what it is like when you are waiting to hear from graduate schools.

You wake up with a million email notifications. You think, “graduate school? Is that you?” No my friends, it is simply just EVERY clothing store that exists reminding you to “act fast!” because of the “major sales!”

Well in that case, why not buy some clothes? A little retail therapy never hurt anybody … except when you are on a budget since graduate school applications took all of your money.

You will find many well-meaning friends and family members will ask questions like, “So, have you heard anything yet?” I usually respond with something like, “Not yet, but hopefully soon! Thank you for asking! I appreciate that you are thinking of me!”

But internally I’m like:

And then there’s the trouble of answering “yes” to future plans. Because sure, at this point in time you are free, but what if graduate school tells you that you have to interview that day? And then you have to be that person who cancels plans last minute?

You try to check online forums, seeking solace among your fellow hopeful graduate school attendees…

only to find posts saying, “Oh, you all have not heard yet? I got my acceptance 3 months ago!”

So, if you are someone who feels they have been waiting to hear from graduate school longer than Sirius Black waited in Azkaban, hang in there. These are trying times, but do your best not to let the nerves get to you. Take this time instead to focus on those final classes, spend time with loved ones, or test out new recipes or exercise routines. And remember, you filled out a graduate school application. If you can get through that, you can get through anything.