woman taking pictures near handrail
woman taking pictures near handrail
Tamara Bellis/Unsplash

The (Un)Offical Ranking of the New Snapchat Features

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Snapchat shocked the world and distracted social media users from everything they were doing this week by unveiling special new face-recognizing filters.  Obviously, #NWTS.

I’ve taken the liberty to embarrass myself by ranking these new filters (number 1 being the best) and using my own selfies as evidenc

[*This article has been edited to reflect the replacement of Dreamy Big Eyes with Crying Eyes.​]

7. Googly-eye, big mouth

Not sure exactly what this filter is going for, but it is still entertaining.  However, it doesn’t seem as useful as the other ones because, in reality this is usually my go-to face when sending snapchats anyway.

6. SCARY

My first reaction to this one went something like “AW HELL NO.” No one better send this to be after 9 p.m., because I’ll be having nightmares for a week.  I am getting scared just looking at my own face in the filter.

5. Robot Spy

This is probably the most aesthetically-cool filter.  However, if we’re talking about usefulness, I can’t really see myself running into that many situations that would warrant me turning myself into a cyborg.

4. Crying Eyes 

I’ll admit I’m a little bitter at this one because it replaced “Dreamy Big Eyes” which made me look like a beautiful Disney Princess. However, I’ve slowly come around to crying eyes.  The sad puppy dog look is a great way to accomplish things- A.K.A. I’m sending this to my friends every time they won’t come to the bar with me. 

3. Heart Eyes

This may not be as exciting as, say, a Robot Spy, but I rank it the third best because of its functionality.  If you have a significant other, you can’t deny that this is an extremely useful filter to utilize every time they send you an adorable selfie.  But that’s not all! This filter is perfect to respond to Snapchats of delicious food, adorable babies, and tiny animals.  The possibilities are endless.

2. Old Person/Monocle

This is extremely hilarious.  If you’re a senior in college like me, it is also extremely relevant because I am old.  And as my roommate Emma threatened doing to me-if your friend sends this to you, take a screenshot and Instagram it on their birthday.

1. Puking Rainbows

Did you really expect Puking Rainbows to not be ranked number 1?  This is amazing. It is the perfect response to any situation.

Sarah is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UConn. She is a Communication and Journalism major at the University of Connecticut newly suffering from the travel bug after a summer in Spain and an obsession with all things UConn Husky Basketball.