UConn’s Azzi Fudd Drops 32 on the Retirement of #32

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

UConn Women’s Basketball gave us yet another thrilling game on Monday, November 14th versus the Texas Longhorns at Gampel Pavilion. Just before the game, the UConn Huskies were ranked #5 by The NCAA, with Texas at #3. Tensions were high going into this one, having the women’s first top-10 matchup of the season. But, the Huskies, per usual, did not disappoint.

Retirement of #32

Former UConn Women’s Basketball and WNBA star, Swin Cash, had her jersey number (#32) retired right before the game began. They held a ceremony in honor of her great success and impact on not only the UConn Huskies, but basketball forever.

Cash shared the following inspirational words, “I’m truly humbled and grateful to the University of Connecticut, my coaches, and my amazing teammates… To know my number and name will be going to the rafters in Gampel is still mind-blowing. When I first arrived on campus, I was just a skinny girl from McKeesport, Pennsylvania, wanting to make my mom and family proud. For me, this recognition represents a shining symbol of hope to any young female baller out there wondering if she’s good enough, who comes from humble beginnings, or just doesn’t see a clear pathway. Being the Best You is always enough!”

UConn’s WBB coach, Geno Auriemma, shared “It’s only appropriate that the next name to go on the wall and the next number to be retired is Swin’s. Anyone who was around when Swin played, or who saw her play in person, will never forget the energy that she played with, the force of her personality, and the passion that she brought to everything that she did.”

Cash will be just the third player between both men’s and women’s basketball to have their number retired, following legends Rebecca Lobo (50) and Ray Allen (34).

@swincash on Instagram

Career-High for Azzi Fudd, #35

Azzi Fudd, a 5’11 shooting guard from Virginia, pulled a career-high of 32 points on Monday. With the 2021-2022 Player of the Year, Paige Bueckers, out for the entire season due to an ACL injury, Fudd is facing a lot of pressure. But there is no doubt she delivered.

Once she found her groove, she scored 22 total points in the second half and 17 in the fourth quarter alone. I was on the edge of my seat each time she shot, and it almost felt like she never missed. She really gave UConn a unique edge in this matchup, which was undoubtedly a challenging one. Fudd, #35, stated “I don’t know why I didn’t shoot much in the first half, but I was open a couple of times, my teammates kept telling me to shoot and I let ’em go in the second half and they went in. I think we settled more in the second half. We were able to run more stuff.”

Auriemma, who is undoubtedly a proud coach following the big UConn win, said “Obviously, she didn’t do it single-handedly by herself, but that was an All-American performance today. That’s, like, player-of-the-year performance there tonight.” Across social media and commentators during the game, there is much talk about labeling her as the best player in the country. Paige Bueckers, #5, even reposted an image of Fudd on her Instagram story with the caption “Best player in the country.” #35 even had Texas Longhorns coach, Vic Schaefer, impressed with her performance: “She’s really good, really good. Special.”

According to ESPN, Fudd’s 32 points are tied with Diana Taurasi for the most a UConn player has ever scored in a top-10 matchup. Taurasi also scored 32 against Tennessee (ranked #2 at the time) in 2002.

It’s safe to say Fudd’s delivery was nothing short of incredible on Monday. Fudd’s career-high 32 points occurred the same night that #32 was retired. It could be said that this is purely coincidental but many feel that this is a foreshadowing of the success of Azzi Fudd in the future. How will she play throughout the rest of this season? Will she follow in Cash’s footsteps? 

@wslam on Twitter

A Huge Win for the UConn Huskies

The score was neck and neck for the majority of the first half of the game. It almost appeared that this was too even of a matchup and that it would completely come down to the wire. But the UConn Huskies pulled through in the second half, leaving the game with a thrilling 83-76 win. Beyond Azzi Fudd, the win could not have been pulled off without the rest of the team. Aubrey Griffin (#44), Aliyah Edwards (#3), Lou Lopez Sénéchal (#11), Dorka Juhász (#14), and Nika Mühl (#10) also came through in their own ways against Texas. They worked together and played with so much character, per usual. The UConn Women’s Basketball team truly is so much fun to watch.

Horns Down,” Longhorns! Go Huskies!

@UConnWBB on Twitter
Cawley DiStephan has been a writer at the Her Campus at UConn chapter since 2022. She writes about a variety of topics including culture, relationships, life at college, entertainment, and more. She is most proud of her article “Women At UConn On The Student Recreation Center.” Cawley is a political science major on the pre-law track. She hopes to be a lawyer one day and is still exploring her options in what specific field. Outside of her writing for Her Campus, she enjoys writing political analysis for her classes. Her love for writing extends to her job at the UConn Writing Center, where she works with peers on their own writing assignments. She is also involved in several project-based initiatives at the center. In Cawley’s free time, she listens to a lot of music. Her favorite artists are Frank Ocean and SZA. She also enjoys watching films and TV shows, some of her favorites include BEEF, Poor Things, Beau is Afraid, Game of Thrones, and Everything, Everywhere, All at Once. One of her favorite activities is thrifting, and loves to drink a matcha latte or a dirty chai while she does so. Cawley loves to enjoy all of these hobbies with her friends, family, and boyfriend.