UConn Students Get Real About Construction on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Recently, the state of Connecticut has started their $1.5 billion initiative, Next Generation Connecticut, in order to enhance research and education at UConn. Improvements are being made all over campus including the future student recreation center which is estimated to be up by 2019, a 30,000 sq. ft. addition to the existing drama/music/Nafe Katter Theater, a new engineering and science building complete with a green roof, and much more.

Although these changes can be a great addition to campus, they can also be an inconvenience while they’re still in progress. We asked students around campus about their thoughts on the construction going on at UConn. Here’s what they have to say.

Many students have questions on the timing:

“When is it gonna end?”

“Why the F couldn’t they do more over the summer?”

“I just wish we knew more, like some sort of schedule that told us the timing of all of this. Will I be woken up almost daily for the rest of the year?”

“It’s always in the most inconvenient spots and times.”

“Maybe they should have decided to do phases instead of ripping up all sections of campus.”

Commuters want answers too:

“Commuters have to budget an extra 20-30 min of travel time for construction traffic.”

“UConn never notifies us (commuters) like if certain days will be heavier traffic. One day when they were redoing the Storrs Rd, I was in traffic for 30 min!”

Some students are concerned if there is progress being made:

“It can get very noisy and sometimes it doesn’t look as if much progress is being made.”

“They’ve been working on some stuff since my freshman year (I’m a junior), and we have no idea what they’re even doing.”

“For now, there doesn’t seem to be that much progress.”

Some complain about the noise:

“I love being woken up to all the noises. It’s not annoying at all.”

“The sounds of trucks beeping will forever haunt me.”

Others have a more positive outlook:

“Part of construction on campus can be a great thing- brand new facilities, innovative technology, better dorms, and more. But along with all the good, the bad is not too far behind; loud noises, obstructed paths, dirt, etc.”

“I’m hoping in the long run that all the construction is going to be worth it.”

“I’m just excited for the new student rec center.”

“It’s going to be great for our campus.”

All in all, it seems that Connecticut’s plan to upgrade campus will have long term benefits with short term frustration. Students seem to be fed up with the construction and are tired of the work being done but in the end, it’s for the best.  

Cover Image Source

Alexis Angelini is a fourth-year student studying English and Communication. When not working as a Social Media Content Producer, Alexis is heavily involved on campus. She currently serves as the President of UConn Yoga Sangha, the Marketing Director of Her Campus UConn, as well as a Peer Educator in S.H.A.P.E. Her love and interest for social media is reflected in her experience, as she has worked with brands such as Aerie, Rent the Runway, Hallmark, Neutrogena, The Economist, Uber, etc. Her social media experience has helped start-ups to Forbes-featured businesses to Fortune 500 companies with their social media.
Nikki is the Campus Correspondent & Editor in Chief for Her Campus UConn.  She is a senior majoring in Communication with a minor in HDFS.  Nikki wishes she was Beyoncé, worships Adele, eats more pasta than is probably recommended, and is a Ravenclaw at heart.   If you have any questions or concerns regarding Her Campus UConn, you can email her at nicoleharris@hercampus.com.