UConn Basketball Game
UConn Basketball Game
Original photo by Mairead Gillespie

UConn Men’s Championship Wins Over The Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

UConn’s win this year marks their fifth NCAA National Championship in the past 24 years. As I reflect on how proud I am to be a husky, I wanted to look back on those who came before the current UConn players; those who helped contribute to UConn basketball and helped us earn the title of ‘Basketball Capital of the World.’

#1: 1999

The first time the men’s team won the National Championship, Richard “Rip” Hamilton was MVP. Hamilton declared for the NBA draft following the 1999 win and played for the Detroit Pistons for nine years where he went on to become a 3-time NBA All-Star. Hamilton should definitely be credited for putting UConn on the map, as well as legendary head coach Jim Calhoun. This year was the first of three NCAA Championship wins Calhoun would have during his time coaching at UConn from 1986-2012.  

#2: 2004

The 2003-2004 basketball season MVP was most likely Emeka Okafor. Following the championship win that year, Okafor declared for the 2004 NBA draft where he was the second pick overall. He was drafted by the Charlotte Bobcats and was named Rookie of the Year. The 2004 UConn Men’s team also included players such as Taleik Brown, who is now coaching at Iona College, who the 2023 UConn Men’s team beat in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

#3: 2011

The name most UConn students recognize from the 2011 Championship year is Kemba Walker. Walker was 9th pick overall in the 2011 NBA draft. He has played for Charlotte, Boston, and New York, and he now holds a spot on the U.S. National Basketball Team. Our UConn Men’s team was quite stacked in 2011 besides Walker. Among the notable players included Jeremy Lamb and Shabazz Napier, who also went on to play in the NBA. 

#4: 2014

The 2014 championship win was the first win without Coach Jim Calhoun, the man who is credited with revolutionizing the men’s basketball team and giving it the notoriety it has today, along with Geno Auriemma of course, who has brought home eleven championships for the women’s team. Kevin Ollie coached from 2012-2018 before current Coach Dan Hurley took over. The 2014 win may be in part credited to senior Shabazz Napier, who got to experience two NCAA championships during his UConn basketball career before declaring for the NBA draft that year.  

#5: 2023

This past year, I got to witness UConn bring home their 5th National Championship. As a graduating senior, this truly was a special time to be a husky! Our head coach, Dan Hurley is known as somewhat of a legacy, with a Basketball Hall of Fame father, and a brother who played in the NBA briefly. Hurley’s son is currently a junior on the team, as well. This year, the UConn men’s team had three pretty unanimously agreed on star players: Jordan Hawkins, Adama Sanogo, and Andre Jackson, who have all been referred to as future NBA players. In fact, Hawkins and Sanogo have already declared for the 2023 NBA draft. We’ll have to see what’s in store for Jackson, as he will be a senior for the 2023-2024 season.

Julia is a senior at the University of Connecticut, studying English and minoring in psychology. She is interested in teaching and also journalism.