This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Spring semester brings every college student’s worst nightmare — selecting housing. The chaos that surrounds picking your housing is more serious than anyone leads on. Each spring, students make plans, back-up plans, and back-up-back-up plans. Housing at the University of Connecticut (UConn) comes with a lot of planning ahead and thinking about what’s important to you. Disclaimer: I am an RA and come with a slightly biased opinion on the stress of housing. But, although I haven’t experienced it firsthand, I’ve seen what happens as a result of a bad housing match. Based on all of this, here are my top five criteria for picking housing at UConn.

Living Room With Globe
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

1. Privacy

Privacy is front and center when it comes to housing at UConn — privacy in terms of location and with your roommate(s) (the key factor here). Tiny traditional dorms mean sharing a few square feet with someone you may have just met or known your whole life. Proximity and the intimacy of living together can break or make a relationship, so be very careful in your next steps before you promise to live with a girl you’ve only known for two weeks. Ask the hard-hitting questions of what type of privacy you want, versus cannot live without. Are we going out together? Who’s coming over to our place? Overnight guests? Will it be dead silent every night?

2. Location

Location is the make-or-break factor of any beautiful dorm building. An amazing dorm room with a 20-minute walk from everything can ruin your housing experience depending on what you value! Think about where your classes will be — is the center of campus close? Where can you study nearby? Are you in the middle of nowhere or near plenty of restaurants? A sad truth about UConn is that many dorm rooms are on the outer parts of campus. Focus on if you are willing to make the walk to get where you need to be or if you are going to start skipping classes because everything else is too far away. On the other end, a good location can make a bad dorm seem pretty amazing!

3. Food

Eating matters! Traditional dorms mean focusing on what dining hall is closest to you. Of course, if you are willing to walk anywhere, then it doesn’t matter if your favorite dining hall is across campus. Map out how far you will be from the closest restaurants and if that matters to you. Dietary restrictions are definitely not something anyone is forgetting about, so if you are vegan or eat halal, make sure you plan ahead. Off-campus housing means budgeting and making your own meals. If this feels too much for you, you can always think of adding on a meal plan!

4. Price

If we all had the money, I’m sure everyone would love a decked-out apartment with perfect privacy. But sadly, price matters, and it definitely should be something you consider. Especially with the potential spike in tuition, think critically about what you can afford versus what you are willing to pay. Talk with your parents and guardians to see what is an affordable rate for you. Suites are awesome and so are singles, but everyone knows there isn’t an abundance of cash to let us live there. Apartments and suites mean more independence, more space to decorate, and more money to spend. 

5. Reputation

I think people forget to consider the reputation of dorms! Try and find an upperclassman to ask about what their experience is like. Every on-campus housing option has its own vibes and energy. I mean, North is called the jungle for a reason! Hilltop has a number of crime reports that should not be forgotten. Think about the general student population that might live near you. Is the area known to be dangerous? Is it a party area?

Overall, these are just some of the basic things to consider when looking for housing this spring semester. This is definitely not a comprehensive list. There are an unlimited number of factors every student thinks about before they decide whether or not to live on campus. Make sure to think critically and realistically when imagining yourself in your future living situation! Lots of people agree to random rooming assignments thinking something will change or they can worry about it later. Save future “you” the trouble and only pick what you are willing to go do right now! 

Naiiya Patel

U Conn '25

Naiiya Patel is a writer for HerCampus UConn. She loves writing environmental, health & wellness, and overall feel good pieces! Naiiya hopes to write more pieces of environmental activism and how to get involved at UConn. Beyond Her Campus, Naiiya works as the Business Manager of the Daily Campus (UConn's student run newspaper). She oversees circulation of the physical paper, advertising, and the financial aspect the organization! Naiiya also works a Residential Assistant on campus in the Honors community! Naiiya is a junior studying Accounting with a minor in Philosophy and Social Responsibility & Impact in Business. Naiiya hopes to work as an Accountant before heading to law school! In her free time, Naiiya enjoys debating philosophy, getting boba, and reading! She is proficient at crocheting and hopes to learn knitting next. Naiiya loves to spend time with friends, focus on her studies, or work on creative projects.