This Is UConn Country

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Sexy men, tight pants, big muscles, what’s better!? Those are only three of the reasons that football season at UConn is one of the main attractions of the fall semester. Last Saturday the Huskies returned to the field and defeated Fordham University 35-3 in a game that proved to be a tremendous start to their season.            

With home games being played at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, many students are bussed to the games directly from campus. Students who do find alternate rides are able to park in the fields surrounding the stadium and participate in epic tailgates before trekking the distance to watch the game.

Tailgating is perhaps another top reason that makes UConn football so popular, not just with students, but with many football fans and UConn supporters throughout the state. With last Saturday’s game being midday, cars began surrounding Rentschler as early as 9:00 am (some probably earlier) to begin the first tailgate of the season right.  Beer and burgers were in generous supply as game goers came together to celebrate what will hope to be an exciting and rewarding season for the Huskies.

Another infamous aspect of UConn Country is the notorious student section, or more commonly known as the “Dog Pound“. Student season ticket holders fill the bleachers behind the end zone and sport white and navy while shouting and chanting for their team, no voice is safe in the “Dog Pound”. The student section is a nightmare for teams who come challenge the Huskies on their home field and proud UConn students would not have it any other way.

There are many game day traditions that students support during the game. Some of the more notable traditions include UConn’s mascot Jonathan the Husky and the ever popular “stick it in” chant. Game goers in even the farthest sections of the stadium will also hear the “Dog Pound” relentlessly trying to distract the opposite team if they are close to scoring a touchdown or attempting a field goal. 

The start of this season will also see a new head coach, the first that the UConn football program has had in 12 years. Paul Pasqualoni will replace Randy Edsall leading the Huskies into their 28th season. According to information from UConn athletics, Pasqualoni, originally from Cheshire, has 19 seasons of experience coaching at the collegiate level. Before joining the UConn family, Pasqualoni coached in the National Football League working with the Dallas Cowboys and the Miami Dolphins.

Football season is always an exciting time at the University of Connecticut. Even if you are not an avid football fan, the tradition, school spirit, and atmosphere that surrounds a UConn football game always makes for a good time. So even if you are not a season ticket holder, buy a ticket to a game or two and help support your Huskies this season! In the meantime, here are some key terms and game day traditions that every Huskies football fan should know:

Dog Pound: The UConn student section aka the best section in the entire stadium.

Rentschler Field: The home field of the Huskies located in East Hartford, CT.

Tailgating: social time spent with friends before the game that can be the best part of game day for some.

Touchdown: A play in which the offensive team can score six points by carrying, receiving or gaining possession of the ball across their opponent’s goal line.

Field goal: A play in which a team makes three points by place-kicking or drop-kicking the ball over the cross bar and between the goal posts.

Jonathan the Husky: Out of all the Big East teams, UConn has the only living mascot. The white Husky is led by handlers from the Alpha Phi Omega fraternity to open the game as well as meet students and fans.

“Stick it in” Chant: When UConn’s offense is in the red zone (between the 20-yard line and the goal line) students are led by the band and chant “Stick it in, stick it in, stick it in!”

My name is Ashley Dostie and I am the current Editor in Chief for the Her Campus branch at the University of Connecticut. I am a journalism and public relations double major and I am looking forward to expanding and publicizing this amazing online magazine come fall semester!