The Truth About The Oaks On The Square

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

When it comes to off-campus apartments here at UConn, you have several options. You can live in the militarized police state, darty central, the woods, or the cream of the crop: The Oaks on the Square. The Oaks is known for its perfect location, new buildings, hotel style rooms, and the hefty price.  When people hear that you live in The Oaks they gawk. Are these apartments really as amazing and fantastic as they’re mad out to be or are they not all that they’re made out to be?

One can’t ignore….

The Noise

If you live in Building 2 or 3 expect to hear a lot of ruckus. When I say ruckus I’m referring to the garbage truck, recycling truck, auto shop, and whatever trucks deliver goods to 7-11, Subway, and Moe’s.  It often seems like a non-stop cycle of noise.

Speaking of ruckus …

The garbage truck comes several times a day starting at 7 a.m. until way after the sun goes down. After a long night at Huskies, the last thing you want is to hear the truck coming for practically empty dumpsters on a Friday morning.

What Parking?

We already know UConn’s parking popo is out to get you. That certainly applies here in B Lot. The Oaks has very limited parking resulting in some residents having to buy commuter passes. Well occasionally, we want to leave our car here overnight in B lot instead of parking all the way in W Lot.  I mean we have a pass so it should be fine, right? Nope, Don’t even think about it, they will come for you, and will give you a ticket. My next door neighbor left his car there for a week and ended up with seven tickets totaling in $210. There is no mercy for overnight parkers.

Falling Objects?

Someone a few months ago posted a picture from the Oaks in UConn’s buy or sell page. Their medicine cabinet just fell off the wall almost squashing them when they were on the toilet. Beware of falling objects?

It’s not a party scene

Yes people throw small get-togethers here and there, but for the most part don’t expect a social party scene. There are grad students in the building and also professors (it can be awkward that first time running into your professor as you’re taking your garbage out) who have a lot else on their minds than partying.

Even with these drawbacks there are still a lot of positives…

PETS

Yes your furry creature (within reason) will be able to live with you. Every day in the elevator you’re bound to run into a dog which can make even the most miserable Mondays so much better.

Privacy & Safety

In order to get into your room you’ll need to swipe your electronic key two to three times. This includes once to get into the building, the second time to get into the elevator, and then finally into your room.

Location

The Oaks is located right across campus in what can only be described as food heaven. There’s Insomnia, Moe’s, Subway, Dunkin, Starbucks, Mooyah, Blaze… the list goes on and on. Think about it this way, you’ll never starve! But you might go broke…

Yoga Studio, Gym,  & Rooftop Patios

While many on-campus students need to cram into UConn’s gym The Oaks has two convenient gyms located within the buildings (one being open 24/7). Not only that, but The Oaks features a business room, yoga studio, and when summer comes along, rooftop access.

So yes, even compared to its drawbacks, The Oaks is the place to be unless you’re looking for that wild party atmosphere (if that’s the case you should refer to darty central). Many are blessed to call this place home and hopefully you will have the privilege of visiting or one day living there yourself!

Cover Image Credit