TRADIT10N: Cheering on the Lady Huskies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

This is UConn country, collegiettes! We are the basketball capital of the world and we love to remind others of that come every March. Last year we did it with dual national titles.

This year? The women dominated the court (as always) to bring home their THIRD championship win in as many years. As if that wasn’t enough, this year’s win makes ten for beloved coach Geno Auriemma.

UConn is a community full of pride for our school and our teams but we need to work on our support of the women’s team. Our love and support should shine through just as much for the women as it does for the men, here’s why:

Geno. As Susan Herbst said during the women’s celebratory return press conference, “ Geno is just Geno. He is one name, like Beyoncé.” Geno has been the head coach for the lady Huskies for twenty-nine years, leading us to ten national championships, 16 Finals Fours, and five perfect seasons. He’s transformed the team into the powerhouse it is today.

Stewie. Now a junior, Breanna Stewart has three national titles under her belt, and could be heading towards a possible fourth next year. Stewie won the NCAA Final Four Most Outstanding Player as a freshman and the NCAA Player of the Year award as a sophomore. Plus, the most played song on her iPod? “Girls Love” by Beyoncé.

Stats. Simply put, the Huskies aren’t about losing. The women have only lost one game since March 12, 2013 and, on average, they beat their opponents by 38 points. Not too shabby.

While March Madness and basketball season are behind us, we can continue to support the lady Huskies all year round and, fingers crossed, to a fourth consecutive championship next year!

Currently a senior at the University of Connecticut, Grace McMorrow is pursuing a degree in Journalism and Communications.  From a young age she could be found sitting in a comfy corner devouring a book or filling up a journal and her love of words has only grown with age. She's learned to embrace her awkward, quirky nature once she learned being like Mia Thermopolis or Jessica Day isn't all that bad. Grace tends to spend her free time staying up to date on pop culture, obsessing over fictional characters, and daydreaming about her next faraway travel destination.