Top 5 Cozy Nintendo Switch Games to Relieve Midterm Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As I’m sure many of you may know, this month marks two years since the start of the Coronavirus epidemic. The beginning of life socially distanced, covered by masks, and isolated from the world. It also, however, is the month that brought us the release of the Nintendo Switch Game, Animal Crossing. If you’re anything like me, this game was the savior of your quarantine life, allowing players to escape into an island of their own design and take a break from the stresses of reality.

It was a popular trend that led thousands of people across the nation to click the purchase button for both the Switch console and game. Eventually, however, the popularity died down, leaving consoles to collect dust as their players transitioned back to in-person education and jobs. With midterm exams on the horizon, though, I am sure many of you are in need of a way to unwind and destress after those long study sessions. I’m here to tell you that you’re in luck! Dust off that old console and try out one of these top 5 coziest Switch games I’ve recently played that will be sure to help you relax and re-charge for those exams!

5) Calico

At Number five is Calico. This is an extremely adorable game filled with cats, dogs, and many other furry animals that you can pick up, pet, and name. Your main objective is to run a cafe and satisfy requests made by other characters living in your world. I finished this game last summer within a few weeks, so if you’re looking for something short-term but still super cute this is the game for you! Quick warning though; the background song is extremely catchy and will 100% get stuck in your head for days. The game also doesn’t have great graphics, but it’s still super fun if you can get past the looks.

4) Stardew Valley

Next is Stardew Valley. This is a pretty popular game, and you can get it on many platforms including Playstation, Xbox, PC, and, of course, Switch. The game could be described as a farming simulator, however there is a lot more to it than that. With mining areas, places to fish, and chances to build relationships with (and possibly marry) other characters, this game provides a great slice-of-life experience with lots of freedom to create a world that is truly unique to you. There are very little instructions and no real tutorial, however, so if you want a bit more structure and assistance when playing then I recommend going for another option. Otherwise, Stardew is a great choice that I personally enjoyed a lot!

3) Spirit Farer

Halfway through our list is Spirit Farer. I am currently in the middle of playing this game, but can easily say that it is already one of my favorite games ever. You play as Stella, a girl who houses spirits on her boat to help complete their last wishes before moving onto the afterlife. It is a beautiful game, with a calming soundtrack and screenshot-worthy scenes. It is definitely a tear-jerker though, so make sure to have some tissues nearby when playing!!

2) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

In second place is the one and only Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. This is another pretty popular game amongst Nintendo fans, and rightfully so. The soundtrack is phenomenal, with a storyline and graphics that are just as captivating. You travel around forests, across mountaintops, and through deserts as Link, trying to regain your memory and save the Kingdom of Hyrule. This is an action-adventure game where you journey at your own pace with the freedom to explore wherever you wish. It is truly an extraordinary game that I recommend trying out if you’re up for a bit of a challenge and don’t mind longer game play.

1) Animal Crossing: New Horizons

And finally, at number one (shocker!) is Animal Crossing. This is definitely a top-tier Switch game, and if you haven’t tried it yet I 100% recommend you do. With the freedom to design an island however you choose, build friendships with other villagers, and invite your friends to play with, there is so much this game has to offer. If you have played it before but just lost the motivation to revisit, go say hi to your animal neighbors! There’s nothing a short talk with Tom Nook can’t fix (unless of course the problem is not wanting to pay off your loans… he’s a stickler for those). You can also try the newly released extension Happy Home Paradise where you design vacation homes for villagers, if that’s more your jam.

Hopefully, you were able to find something from this article to add to your own next-to-play list that will help you relax and destress. Take the time for yourself and enjoy the break! You deserve it <3

Makenna is the Treasurer of Her Campus UConn. She is currently a Junior double majoring in English and Psychology who loves using her writing to help others decompress from the chaos that is life and learn more about culture, academics, and wellness along the way. Makenna is also a Supervisor for the UC cafes around campus, so if you ever see her working behind the barista machine and need a quick pick-me-up make sure to stop by! She additionally commutes to her home in Milford, CT to work her second job as a teacher at a local children's fitness center. In her spare time, Makenna enjoys crocheting, practicing yoga, and playing her favorite cozy video games. She is a Hozier fanatic, lover of cats, and is always down for a Studio Ghibli movie night. <3