Tips on How to Avoid an Unhealthy Tailgate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Heading out to Rentschler to cheer on the UConn Football Team as they take on Buffalo this weekend? Check out this list below!

Choose grilled over fried, battered, baked and all those other ways to cook food these days. By choosing grilled foods you cancel out consuming excess oils and saturated fat. From chicken strips to corn and veggies, grilling is a fun way to enjoy the tailgate, while staying on your health plan.

Don’t fear the hotdogs and hamburgers. Sometimes it is a matter of what you add to them that makes them
unhealthy. You can enjoy a hotdog or hamburger while avoiding a food baby:
-Skipping the bun
-Providing whole wheat buns
-Adding a tomato instead of ketchup
-Passing on the cheeseburger OR healthy cheeses include: Feta, Swiss, and String cheese.

Choose baked chips instead of regular. Most baked chips spare you the heavy grams of fat and grease, but still provide the same crunchy pleasure.

And at last here comes the guilty pleasure that Americans put hand in hand with football… the beer. Ideally, if you are on a strict diet plan, skip it. Most beers contain over 120 calories per serving and do tailgaters really just stick to one? I don’t think so. To indulge without the guilt here are some lighter beers to get hooked on:
– Guinness Draught
– Sam Adam’s Light Lager
– Miller64
– Rolling Rock
– Abita Purple Haze
– Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Last but not least, when you are faced with a choice and have to choose, go veggie tray over the chip bowl!

Caitlin is a Communication major with minors in Sociology and Women's Studies at the University of Connecticut. She has always loved to write, but she caught the advertising bug at UConn and now dreams of creating ads that people will always remember. When she's not studying mass media or reading advertising blogs, Caitlin loves making collages, riding horses, and surprising people!