A Thrifty Girl’s Guide To Saving Money This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Even though the snow still keeps coming down, the warm weather is fast approaching collegiettes! With the summer season around the corner, there are many things that need to be done and most of them require some cash. As college students, being broke is what we’re best at. The phrase “on a budget” is common knowledge to us. Here are some tips on how to save some cash during this spring and summer season.

1. Visit Consignment Shops

These places are amazing. If you’ve never gone to one, I highly recommend you do so right now. You don’t know what you’re missing. Consignment shops can be hit-or-miss, but if you look hard enough these places are full of hidden treasures. Sometimes, you can even find your favorite brands at half the price! Best of all, you can walk out of there with lots of goodies and feel excellent about the money you spent. Check out Storrs Center’s very own consignment shop, Bliss.

2. Try to Do It Yourself  

Pinterest is your best friend for DIY ideas. Filled with ideas for pretty much anything your mind could think of, Pinterest makes it easy for you to attempt to get crafty. Even if you’re not the most in-touch with your artistic side, anyone can do it. Instead of buying something, you can create it and live with the satisfaction that you made something and it wasn’t a complete disaster.

3. Take Day Trips

In desperate need of a vacation? Instead of booking expensive week-long vacations, try taking day trips instead. This way, you can experience more and do it on a budget. College is the best time for road trips, so gather some friends and head out on the open road.

4. Shop Smart 

Check out places like H&M and Forever 21 for affordable summer looks this season. Instead of pushing your budget on expensive clothing, check out other cute, affordable options such as these. And when you see a sale, run towards it with full force.

Cover Image Source