Three Reasons Why I’m Excited About Vice President-Elect Kamala Harris

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

There are a lot of reasons to look forward to the four years ahead, one of which being Kamala Harris. Taking into account her identity and her politics, she has the potential to make a lot of changes that will benefit certain groups of people whose voices have been stifled for years. Not to mention, she’s a BOSS. Here are three reasons why I’m excited!

She’s a woman of color

I deeply believe that having more female representation in government and spheres where decisions are being made is beneficial for American society. However, I’m not one to want to put just any woman in a position of authority simply because they’re female (I’m looking at you, Amy Coney Barrett). When I found out that Joe Biden was going to appoint a female vice president, I was ecstatic. However, I had a sinking feeling that people would be turned off about a female VP for obvious reasons (I don’t think I need to explain the patriarchy). When I found out that Biden and Harris won the election, I was overwhelmed with pride. I knew that women were capable of making it into the highest levels of political life because we’ve been seeing it happen slowly over time. But, no female has ever held the position of vice president or president. The fact that we were actually able to make it happen gave me new hope.

Not only is Kamala Harris a woman, but she is a woman of color with an African American and Indian background. This is a huge step for the representation of women of color in government because she is setting a precedent for what is to come. Women of color are systematically disadvantaged in the United States, especially Black women, and they will certainly benefit from representation in the highest office in the land. Not to mention, women of color are also underrepresented in the media. For young girls to see someone that looks like them in the White House is extremely powerful and hopefully gives them more confidence to achieve what they may not have thought was possible.

She’s liberal

This reason is a pro to some and a con for others, but I for one am looking forward to having a liberal administration in office. Kamala Harris is a daughter of immigrants, which means that she has the interests of immigrants in mind. She has also advocated for DACA and DREAMers. She believes in the right to choose, police and criminal justice reform, that healthcare is a right and not a privilege, and she also supports a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. Again, positions on these issues differ from person to person. However, these are things I believe in and I, as I’m sure other people do, appreciate that Kamala Harris shares these beliefs.

She’s professional and doesn’t take anyone’s BS

Kamala Harris is a bad b**** and there’s no other way to put it; never forget “Mr. Vice President, I’m speaking.” She is a successful, smart, and charismatic woman who wholeheartedly deserves the position she’s reached. It is a breath of fresh air to elect people to office that speak professionally, tell the truth, believe in science, and will ultimately stand up for the American people. The bar has certainly been lowered over the past four years, so I think the level of respectability that Kamala (and Joe) have will automatically be a step up.

Of course, not everyone is going to be thrilled about who has been elected president and vice president. I believe that my identity as a college-aged female in her 20s has a lot to do with how I view the election of Kamala Harris, but I am very proud to hold those views and I’m looking forward to seeing what she does in office.

Source: Where Kamala Harris Stands on Abortion, Healthcare, COVID-19, and More

Sarah is a senior at the University of Connecticut majoring in political science and minoring in French and communication, and the current President of Her Campus UConn! In her spare time, she enjoys going to concerts, reading, and hiking.